Featured Hoof Rot/ Infection

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lilaalil, Jul 13, 2017.

1. lilaalil

lilaalil Member

Sep 5, 2014
    I have a doe who who's feet were badly neglected. She is limping and favoring her back feet. I have been gradually trimming her hooves, and have taken care of the actual hoof rot, but she seems to have some rot or infection on the actual flesh that connects her leg to her hoof. It's kind of whitish/grayish, wet, and mushy, mainly on the flesh between the "toes". I have been spraying the whole area with "Hoof Rot and Ringworm Spray" which is Benzalkonium Chloride, and either that or the hoof trimming has helped some, less limping, and no yucky smell anymore, but she is still limping some and the flesh still looks yucky. I also have this oily stuff called Hoof Heal, but it dawned on me today that this problem may not technically be hoof rot, but maybe an infection and an antibiotic spray would be better?

So my 2 questions. What is this problem called, and how do I treat it?

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    It's hoof scald. Basically the same as hoof rot, just different place. I would give her some copper bolus.

lilaalil likes this.

3. lilaalil

lilaalil Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Thank you!

4. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    I use a liquid copper treatment. I can give you some if you want to swing by tomorrow. It should clear it up quickly. Or you can grab from dels. Its the same as copportox but a bigger/cheaper bottle.

lilaalil likes this.
  5. lilaalil

lilaalil Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Thanks, Dayna, I will take you up on that. An extra stop at Dell's with two car-seat kids is not my idea of a good time :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Before each treatment, make sure you clean as much yuck off of the area. Use a tooth brush or a gloved finger, really get in there and clean it up the first time.
    If it is slimy get that off of there. You can use strong iodine full strength daily for 1 week. But first make sure it is cleaned up before putting it on there, you can use a gloved up finger to clean after the first initial clean daily for at least say 4 days then, if it doesn't smell and is not slimy, you can just put on the straight iodine. Or what has been suggested.

lilaalil likes this.
  7. Madgoat

Madgoat Active Member

Betadine is good without being caustic. Do they make "shoes" for goats like horses for foot issues? If not use a small premie diaper soaked in medicine cover with a sock and vet wrap it.

lilaalil likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    No need to wrap it. The stronger iodine 7% if you can get it, will dry quickly, no need to wrap it.
    You do not want to keep in dampness.

lilaalil likes this.
  9. lilaalil

lilaalil Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Thank you, everyone! I have betadine here. I'll use that until I can get over to Dayna's for the copper sulfate stuff.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    You bet.

11. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore

12. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    Try some tea tree oil. That will take of infection, penetrate into the frog and disinfect too. Usd two or three s day till it starts to clear up.
    Good luck.

13. Honsby

Honsby Member

Jun 26, 2017
    What's the dosage?

14. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    5 to 6 drops of pure Melaleuca oil mixed with 4 oz of olive oil in spray bottle. You can also put drops directly on hoof. Works on horse hoof rot so will work on goats. The rescue Ranch I volunteer at is 40 yrs old and he uses it for everything. I can get you pure oil. Don't use diluted. Call me at 208-400-0013 if you need help.

15. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    5 to 6 drops of pure Melaleuca oil mixed with 4 oz. of olive oil. Spray on hoof or injured area. Works on the bee stings too. I have used Melaleuca for 25 years. The horses rescue Ranch I volunteer at is 40 years old and he has great success using on his horses. Works on fungus too. Call me st 208-400-0013 if you need to get some. You can order 1 oz bottles direct from factory in Idaho Falls.

16. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    I would use the 5 to 6 drops of pure oil or mixed with olive oil on this area till it clears up. It is s fungicide and a disinfectant which is natural.

17. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    Melaleuca also has a product called Solumel which is made with tea tree oil and green soap. You mix it with water and spray this on that area. I am not a doctor but it will penetrate into the tissue and help heal that area up.