Featured Horn nibbling!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WhiteFeatherFarms, Jul 15, 2017 at 3:16 PM.

1. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms New Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Hello, I have a couple of questions...The urgent one is that my 4 month old fainting goat whether is chewing on his sister's horns, is this normal?? Yesterday I noticed her horn looked like she had rammed something & broken off the tip (no bleeding). I called my vet this morning & had my Fiancé pick up an antibiotic to give her to be sure she doesn't get any infection. Then when he got home, he noticed her brother chewing on the other one!! So now I'm thinking he caused the other horn issue too. They HATE, I mean, hate, to be apart!! Is this my only option? & does anyone have advice on getting him to stop?

My other question is that we were looking at getting 2 more, I was going to get a male (to breed my female next year) & another male to be his pal, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll get a male & a female & put the girls together in one area & boys together in another. How do I go about introducing them & are there things that will help them become acquainted & be friends?
    TIA,
    Kristin

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    What are they getting for minerals?

If the horn isn't bleeding then there is no possibility of infection and antibiotics aren't necessary.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree.

You can try Tabasco or something goats hate, but safe on the horn tips, where it is being chewed.