How do you band horns? PLEASE HELP ME.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Paige, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I have a yearling wether and a two year old oberhasli buck. The wether grows these really long scurs that keep breaking off and I am wondering if this will keep them down or will they keep coming back? Then the buck does not have scurs that bad but he get little ones. Will banding work? And if so how do I do it? How long will it take for them to fall off?
    Thanks! :wave:

2. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Banding will thwart the regrowth of the scurs, you'll need to be sure to place the band as close to the head as possible and if they aren't thick scurs, they should drop off in a matter of 3-4 weeks.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have banded goats with scurs before. It usually works, but you have to put the band at the base of the horn/scur. I usually take two or even three green castrator bands and put them as close to the skull as you can. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to 5+ weeks. But I generally see horns or scurs fall off at about 5 weeks. You do want to make sure the bands stay tightly on there or don't fall off or anything. Oh, and when putting the bands on, you can just take your castrating tool with the band like if you were to band a buckling and slide the bands off at the base of the scur. You might need a small notch on the horn so the bands stay at the base. ;)

Here's a great website that kind of shows you how with photos...
    http://vaughnshire.com/agrarian-life/th ... oat-horns/

4. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Colorful Duct-tape works wonders for helping to hold it in place :)

5. GoatJoy

GoatJoy New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    oh cool! I didnt know about that! Can you band fully grown horns too?

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Horns larger than 3 or 4 inches, I really wouldn't do banding with. Banding works best for young goats, under 2 years is generally a good age.

Banding goats with big/fully grown horns is possible, but dangerous and should really be done surgically by a vet. ;)

7. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I have never banded horns myself but my friend has banded young goats horns and has even done adults horns by banding. She has never had a problem. I will post some before and after pics later after I load them.

8. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I didn't do a good job of disbudding my doeling this year and have decided that it is not a job I can do and will be farming it out to someone better/braver than I. She's 2 months old and her horns are about 3/4 inch long. Could I band them?

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would wait a little longer tracyqh, her scurs will grow out and should get larger making it easier for the band to work effectively. Being really small, it might be kind of hard for the band restrict blood flow completely...I would wait until the horns/scurs are around an inch and a half to 2 inches usually works fine. ;)

10. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    so as long as they are around 3 inches you can band? I ask because I have a buckling that didn't get disbudded that has good horns growing already. I would like to band them before they are really really thick, but was told to wait till they were 5-6 months old. If I wait that long they will probably be pretty large at that point, so wouldn't it make more sense to band them now at 2 months old? Of course I will watch out for fly issues and keep stuff on them to prevent flys.

Peggy would love to see pics.

11. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks! I will wait a little longer.

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No problem tracyqh! ;)

Amy, if the horns are already 3 inches, I wouldn't worry about how old the kid is. I go by horn growth, not age of goat/kid. It will be easier on the buckling to get them done sooner rather than waiting. ;)

13. Coyote Night Acres

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks, I'll be getting that done today or tomorrow then.

14. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Here are the pics of the adults goats that were dehorned by banding. Not sure of their age but they are both several years old. Nice clean job with no problems.

Angel with horns.

[​IMG]

Poppy with horns.

[​IMG]

Angel and Poppy after banding the horns.

[​IMG]

15. Coyote Night Acres

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Do they ever grow scurs? They look really nice without those horns.

16. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    They were done early last spring and they so far.......have never grown scurs or anything.

17. Coyote Night Acres

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    That's awesome then. Now I've seen this one site that has you cut into the skin for band placement. Did you do that or just put them down as low as you could? How long did it take for them to fall off?

18. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No, you don't need to cut into the skin, that seems kind of cruel to me. I just take 2 or 3 bands usually and put them as close to the skull as you can. You MAY need to notch into the horn a little bit if they won't stay down, but usually I don't have any problems.

The horns fall off anywhere from 3 weeks to 5+ weeks. As long as the bands are still restricting blood flow, they will eventually fall off...you'll just have to be patient. I haven't seen a goat take longer than 3 months to fall off. ;)

19. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I banded the horns on a hermaphrodite"doe" who had horns like a buck would...wide at the base, and she was 6 years old. All I did was shave the hair from the base, placed the band as best I could on the fleshy area at the base and used electrical tape to hold it, they were off in 4 weeks though prematurely because she knocked them off. And, she has grown very slight scurs in the 2 years since, I attribute that to her knocking the horns off.

20. GoatJoy

GoatJoy New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    Oh wow they look so good! I'm getting a pb nubian from a lady with horns and I suspect that may be why she is selling her...though I could be wrong. Anyway I was concerned about bringing her into the herd being the only one with horns. We definately may try the bands. I was just concerned about something going wrong because she is a really nice doe. I really didnt want to take her to the vet to have them removed because they actually remove part of their scull and have a difficult time with recovery. Has anyone had a vet remove them?