How do you keep your records?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Dreamchaser, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Not sure if I posted this in the right spot...

How do you keep your records. Do you buy a book, notebook, do you simply marks stuff on a calendar for goat-keeping? What do you do?

Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    on the computer in a spreadsheet -- hard copies printed off of that and I write stuff down in a goat journal

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    In my "herd book""

Has a doe section

The Registration paper is first, then a sheet with a table on hoof trimming records, and vaccinations
    then the next sheet has a table with worming records and then a table with "illness"

The illness has columns for symptoms, treatment, if it worked and how long it took, and date resolved

This Is my first year keeping this kind of record, works good so far, but I may invest in a white board or a chalk board in the hay shed to record hoof trimming so I dont have to write in the book each time, and just write it down every month or so.

4. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am not very good at keeping detailed records, most things I (heats, breed dates, vaccinations, etc.) just go in our calendar on the wall.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I write most stuff on the calender. The later on I transfer it all over to each goats individual sheet I keep with their registration papers.

6. elchivito

elchivito Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I keep all my records in my head.........

what was the question??

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I write it on the calender and transer info to "Barn Records" which is a regular notebook.
    EVERYTHING is in there. Its really helpful if I forget how I treated a certain problem & how it worked.
    Teat structure is in there too. Often I have ones born with 4 (common in Boers) and write down if I think they will be working or not come kidding time.
    I keep reg papers seperate.

8. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    For my herd, I keep a herdbook (large zipper binder). It consists of their registration papers in a plastic sleeve, the papers themselves are on top and on the bottom is a health record sheet, so all you do is flip the page of the goat you're on and you see what it was given, date, how much etc. I have the breeds seperated and then after the goats there is another divider that is purely for health, when my vet comes to fill out health papers for out-of-state shows, things from the gov't for the scrapie program, and my ADGA tattoo certificate, all of those documents are also in their own plastic sleeves. All are labeled on the side of the sleeves, so its convienent and easy to use :D

9. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I don't have a whole lot of records since I only have the two goats, but I like to keep things on a spreadsheet in Excel - I used to work with it a lot in a previous job and I like making it pretty etc so its easy for me to work with.

I record milk production, feed/vet/construction costs, kidding, breeding, heat etc.

I tend to do this inconsistently, especially when neither girl is in milk. :)

Also, anything that I write down on paper inevitably gets colored on by my two year old :roll:

10. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    I keep a large, three-ring binder. I load all of the information I think I need into plastic sleeves and separate everything with dividers by category. I don't keep originals of registration papers in there, only copies (the originals are on file in my office/sewing room/computer room upstairs). In the three-ring binder, I have records on each goat including a photo for each, maintenance records (shots, wormings, hoof trimmings, illnesses, etc), production records (both for kidding and for milk production), pedigrees, and A LOT of reference material from lots of different places - "normal" goat health info, breed standards, weight charts, gestation chart, kidding information, recipes for teat dip and udder wash, etc. The three-ring binder stays up in the cabinet in the barn. I keep a pencil and a pen in the front pocket so I can record stuff when it happens. Every month or so, I carry the binder down to the house and transfer all of my chicken scratch into readable information with the computer. I print out new copies and replace the old ones. So far, this system has worked really well.
    -Tina

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I keep everything on my computer. Excel spreadsheet for "barn records" - this includes one column for each doe to record daily milk production and a much wider column for narrative about weather, purchases, health problems, treatments, and general goings-on. I also have an individual spreadsheet for each animal to record vaccines, treatments, health problems, vet visits, breeding, kiddings, etc. I keep all of my registrations in individual sleeves in a 3-ring binder.

So far, it works for me...

12. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    BWHAHAHAAA!!

13. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I write it on the calender. ;) and then I transfer that to my Barn document on my computer .... ;)