How early can a doe kid?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Saintbee, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Saintbee

Saintbee Member

My second freshener lamancha/alpine doe is at about day 140 (from my observation of her being bred). She refuses to get up today, and is licking her sides quite a bit. She was sprawled out on her side this morning, gave me quite a start. She doesn't normally do this, but it is quite hot and she is quite huge lol. Is it too early for her to kid? She went to day 155 last year with a large single doe kid that she need some assistance with. This year she's bred to a Nigerian and she's grown a bit too so I'm not as worried about her struggling. She won't let me at her ligaments, that's the only time she WILL get up ha. But her bag is quite full, very full in fact. Probably twice as big as it was when she was a FF.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    If she is 1 week prior to kidding she should be OK and that is a good time frame that her kids will be OK.
    Some an be a little earlier and be OK too it all depends.

Is she pushing? Does she have discharge?

Check her ketone levels.

Does she have swollen ankles? Pregnancy toxemia?
    Has she been eating alfalfa hay?

The heat does make things uncomfortable.

Is she eating at all?

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I have a doe in prelabor and she is doing the same thing. Keep a eye on her and check what toth said to be on the safe side. If you think those ankles might even be a tad swollen treat for preg. Tox. It will not harm her in any way if that is not a issue.
    I have noticed most does with singles will hang onto them much longer then if they have more then one. Note I said MOST. There's always that few that likes to prove you wrong when you think you have it figured out

4. Saintbee

Saintbee Member

She's eating just fine. Just gave her some oats and got a feel and still has her ligaments so not as worried now. Just pasture and a bit of hay every other day or so. No pushing or discharge that I just observed. Nothing swollen besides her utter and belly. Feeling better about it now. Thanks!

5. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Happy kidding!

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Sounds like she's just getting ready. You probably have a while yet.

7. Saintbee

Saintbee Member

Twins on day 147 with no obvious signs of labor until I left for two hours and came home to a healthy buck and a doe that were clean and waking around when I got home. Very excited. I'll take photos in the morning.

8. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Congrats!

9. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Yay!!! Congrats :)

10. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Congrats!

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Way to go mama doe!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Congrats. :)

13. Saintbee

Saintbee Member

Some pics :) ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1498500301.643744.jpg
    The doeling :)
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1498500327.857145.jpg
    The buckling :) Not the best pic of him but he's already curious and sniffing everything
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1498500376.546278.jpg
    Proud Mama Flower
    And a couple more just because they're so adorable .
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1498500481.705622.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1498500499.844816.jpg

I love how different they are! The buckling seems to be polled which is exactly what I was hoping for, he'll be my main buck next year if he is polled.

14. billiejw89

billiejw89 Active Member

They are adorable! I love the boys ears!

15. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Active Member

May 21, 2017
    What beautiful babies!

16. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    They are so cute!!!

17. Saintbee

Saintbee Member

Thanks all! She's a great mom - but not too "doting" she feeds them and cleans them but leaves them alone most of the time. This is fine with me because it helps me spend more time with them while allowing them to still be dam raised. She's a perfect goat

18. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I had a doe do that! She is a great mom! When they do this its their "wild" instinct to hide their kid so they're protected

19. Saintbee

Saintbee Member

That's what I thought too, like baby deer

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Very cute. :)