How long do goats grieve?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by chiwapacreek, Jun 19, 2017.

1. chiwapacreek

chiwapacreek New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    My friend and I just bought a mama and baby pair. I got the baby (5 weeks old) planning to bottle feed. She refuses the bottle so I've been holding one of my milkers to let her nurse and everything seems to be fine with her. Just talked to my friend and her goat (mama) is not eating, won't let them touch her, etc. how long will she grieve like this? Should I take the baby back to her and seperate later? Will she grieve then too? Is it better to let it get out of her system now rather than later? Baby is fine nibbling grain and nursing both sides whenever I hold the other does still. It's mama we are concerned about. They were separated 48 hours ago

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

So she was moved from her home and her kid was taken away all in the same day? That is a lot of change for a goat. You can try taking the kid back but she may or may not accept her. But I would probably try it. The rumen really needs to be treated. I'd be giving rumen boluses. In the future it would probably be best not to do so many changes at once.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

3. chiwapacreek

chiwapacreek New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Well they were just going to buy mom so the kid was going to be taken away and she would be moved all in the same day either way. I decided to get the baby bc the owners wanted to sell her too. The baby has adjusted well aside from refusing a bottle. She hangs out with the kids her age and acts fine.

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    I would take the kid back to mom.

5. Dayna

Dayna New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    I would take the kid back to mom too.

6. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    You should probably take the kid back to her mom. Once the kid is a little older then maybe your friend could wean her where she can still see her mama, but she just can't nurse. Then you could bring her back and it wouldn't be as stressful for either of them.

So saying, I think you should do what you think is best for both goats. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree with the others.