How many goats on 2 acres?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by SweetGoat, Dec 5, 2011.

1. SweetGoat

SweetGoat New Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Hello. Just like it says on the welcome page I am a newbie to goats. I currently have about 2 flat grassy acres fenced off with smooth wire that is very electrified. I plan to put 2 more rows of smooth wire on and make them closer together the closer they get to the ground before I put any goats out there. We have an 8x12 foot lean to. The front is half enclosed so its a 3 1/2 sided building. Horse would rather stand next to it than in it. lol

How many goats can i keep on that amount of property. I am used to feeding hay all year round. We feed the horse good quality mixture of Alfalfa and timothy and plan to stick with this hay for goats as well.

I also have access to 5 more acres, I just do not have that fenced off yet :drool:

I am planning on starting small with just two females and learning as I go. I think learning with just two is the safest bet for me and the goats.

2. It in part depends on the breed/size of goat you get. 2 acres is a good size area! If you are going to supplement feed with hay that also increases the number you can have in the area.

3. SweetGoat

SweetGoat New Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We want boer goats. I am starting with just two for now. Just until I get the hang of how to properly care for them.

4. I breed Nigerian Dwarfs so not so sure how many boers yo can raise on 2 acres but for sure 2 is fine.

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Lots !!!

6. Jessaba

Jessaba Senior Member

May 13, 2010
    Georgia
    LOL!

We have over 2 acres fenced in and have 15 pygmies in ours (a lot smaller than boers) and they still have PLENTY of space....I'm 95 percent sure they dont even use all of it and haven't even seen most of it lol.

As many as you can comfortably afford/take care of......as long as they have enough shelter as many as you want?

7. SweetGoat

SweetGoat New Member

Dec 5, 2011
    How do goats handle winter weather. I live in Central Michigan, so it gets pretty darn cold here. I know having hay available keeps my horses warm, but do goats handle cold weather as well as other livestock?

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    As long as they have a draft free area with lots of warm bedding they handle the cold weather just fine. :)

9. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Jess is right they need a draft free shelter with deep warm bedding and they will be just fine. I am in Northern Indiana so not to far from you and we do our kidding in the winter if that tells you how hardy these animals can be. If you want to have them on mostly pasture with limited hay I would say you could have 8-10 on 2 acres and be fine. If you don't mind giving some hay all year then you could have more as long as you have the shelter for them.