how many times can a goat get pregnant

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Hannah, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    I have a nigerian dwarf I thinks she has been pregnant 3 times because she is three and now she is pregnant again.

2. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There are some who will breed a doe "back to back"....meaning that as soon as she delivers, the first heat following the birth, she is bred again....goats carry a pregnancy for 5 months, your 3 year old IF she was bred back to back numerous times, she could be on her 5th pregnancy.
    IMO, this is not good or humane management due to how pregnancy and kid rearing can take a toll on the does health...I personally have my does bred to freshen once a year, they raise their kids and I milk til they are dried off and bred again in the fall for spring kids.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Oh WOW I never knew some people did that, I did it ONCE and felt horrible about it. My doe had a single and he left as a bottle baby and about 1 month later we re bred her because she had good weight and health.

But I agree with liz. I normally only breed once a year..

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Lots of goats have a kidding a year for 10 years or more.

Jan

5. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once a year for as long as the doe can or is able to. Some will breed a doe til 12 years old, depends on the goats health and her ability to carry, deliver and feed kids at a late age.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Liz is absolutely correct ...in everything she said... :thumb:

I breed 1x a year.....

The more often you do it ...the harder it is on them... and can shorten their kidding life in years.. :(

7. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    ok I just want to do what is best for her

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We also breed once per year and feel it's better on the doe and keeps her healthier and happier.

I know that some does will have litters up to 2 times per year, that is usually pretty hard on them though and will wear out their body faster. I know of a doe who had quintuplets two times in one year! She got a nice long break after that though.

But anyway, yeah 1 time per year is usually ideal. ;)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    :wink: :hug: