How much grain do I feed my goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by doneroamingacres, May 7, 2008.

1. doneroamingacres

doneroamingacres New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Sayre,PA
    I'm having trouble figuring out how much to feed goats. I feed them hay (we're working on getting pasture) with 18% grain. How much grain do I feed my four month old nigerian dwarfs? How much grain should I feed my pregnate pygmy and nigerian dwarf? Milking nigeriandwarf? 3 month old full sized goats? Milking nubian and Nigerian Dwarf? I'm very confused at how much grain goats need. Any help or suggestion would be apprieciated! Thank You!

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I dont know much about ND but I feed my boers, kiko, and myotonics about 1 1/2 cups twice a day. Pregnant goats get 2-3 1/2 cups at the end of pregnancy and are fed that much until their kids start eating grain well. My feed is 16%...with an 18%, you shouldnt have to feed very much at all....maybe half a cup twice a day or however many times you feed.

I hope this helps....maybe someone that raises ND can help you more than I can....i am not sure how far into pregnancy your goat is but you slowly increase the amount you feed them towards the end of their pregnancy....I usually increase about a month before their due date.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    4 months ND - a handful

Pregnant pygmy and ND: 1 -2 cups (depending on where they are in pregnancy. Give more mid pregnancy then early or late because that is when the babies are developing the most)

Milking ND - 2 cups

3 month full size - handful

Milking Nubian - (I give 1 standard size coffee can each milking) aprox 4 cups+

Milking ND (same as above?) - 2 cups

These all can be fugged a little depending on their individual needs and you can feed this once a day for the non milking but those that are milking should get grain twice a day if you are milking twice a day.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm not sure about the minis, but my dry does get 1 cup 2x a day, my pregnant does get 2 cups 2x a day upping it to 4 cups 2 weeks before kidding, and my milking does get 1lb of grain for every 3 lbs of milk produced, plus and extra lb if they are on the skinny side. That might be a bit much for your girls if you are feeding 18% protein.

5. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I feed 18% and the 3 does I'm milking get 1 1/2 cups each milking(2x a day) my dry yearling gets 1/2 c 2x a day and my 3 month olds get 1/2 c 2x day...and all the hay and pasture they want. My bucks get 1/2 c 1x a day, including my 3 month old buckling. BTW...I have ND+ ND/Pygmies....and they are "healthy" far from being fat or skinny..perfect.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I am amazed- I can see milking does needing lots of extra to produce but my 180 lb boer does get 1/6 c twice a day (to stick the minerals to) when not nursing and 1/3 twice a day when the kids are nursing- they do not get free choice hay and my vet said my goats are toooooo fat. I agree but the field is a half inch high and they are locked up all night with 1 lb of grass hay for the open doe and 4 lbs of alfalfa for the nursing doe. I can't make myself give them less.