How much grain for my 2 pygmy wethers?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by MuzzleBlast, May 19, 2017.

1. MuzzleBlast

MuzzleBlast New Member

May 16, 2017
    New owner of 2 brothers born on Valentines Day (3 months old) not sure of how much grain to feed... they are presently eating Bermuda hay and being given about 1 1/2 cups each per day of sweet feed, 1 cup each in the morning and 1/2 cup each at bedtime. They weigh 22 and 20 lbs. I would like some recommendations for feeding now and as they grow. I was told that the diet for a wether is different than for a dairy or meat goat.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I would cut down on the sweet feed and add alfalfa pellets.

3. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    I have 2 -3 month old wethers as well and I have been feeding all stock grain and alfalfa hay.

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    I agree with Karen, cut the grain a bit. Wethers don't really need it. I feed my bucks and wethers free choice alfalfa hay and a handful of grain every now and then for a treat.

5. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I would say by the time they are 6 months old you should eliminate grain/feed and just give free choice Bermuda and a coupe cups each alfalfa pellet per day
    We've sold a lot of wethers and that's our recommendation and it has worked well

6. MuzzleBlast

MuzzleBlast New Member

May 16, 2017
    feeding the pygmy wethers....a little confused

thanks for the replies but i'm still a little confused as to terminology. i'm feeding what i was told was bermuda hay from a feeder that they have free access to. Is that the same as "free choice bermuda"? Also, alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets? Any difference? How much pellets?

Also, is pine straw ok for the bedding in their shelter? It's a lot cheaper than the bermuda hay i've been using but not sure if they will try to eat it and/or if its harmful.

7. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Free access, free choice same thing.
    You can certainly feed alfalfa hay if you want.
    But here it is much more expensive.
    So, for pet wether's giving the Bermuda free choice and giving a couple of cups of alfalfa twice per day is a good route.