How to i get my goats to not be afraid of me

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by hoatlovh, Jun 3, 2013.

1. hoatlovh

hoatlovh New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    My show boer goats are very afraid of me and won't even come near me and i am showing them so I need them tame please help

2. TrinityRanch

TrinityRanch Boers & Nubians

Mar 26, 2013
    Central California
    You will need to get them on halters and begin to spend time with them. Pet them, talk to them, feed them treats, all of that will create trust between you and your project. Even if dragging them out on a collar seems harsh, they will soon learn that it isn't that bad, and make a nice experience out of it. Remember, this may take a while, so don't get frustrated. Market wethers are the worst things to tame sometimes.

3. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Make them! LOL
    Love, treats, conversations, petting, rubbing, more treats, fresh greens, walks, more treats, and TIME.
    With time, and all of the above, they will come around...
    I have a 5 month old doeling that was not all that friendly when I got her, and she follows me around like a puppy dog now. :)

Good luck, and welcome!

4. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Treats, treats, treats! Seriously, treats. And lots of time talking to them, let them sniff you. When they get grain, have it near you. They'll turn around, I had a pretty shy doe this year who now picks my pockets and gives me kisses. :D

5. sbaker

sbaker New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Louisiana
    I have a Nigerian that I'm trying to get to love me. So I catch her and just pet her and love on her. And she loves cookies, so i give them to her to make her even happier! They might act traumatized the first few times you get ahold of them, but it won't take long for them to realize that you're alright!

6. mamma2kids

mamma2kids Junior Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Hooper, UT
    I found mine love to be brushed with a curry comb (like for horses). It is important to not chase them. If you need to catch them keep them in a small area and sit near their feed. Don't try to touch them at first, let them come to you. Once they realize you are not a threat, offer treats or a handful of grain. Just don't be too pushy at first because it takes a lot of time. This is also how I get my babies used to people and next thing you know they are climbing all over you. Good luck!

7. Sylvie

Sylvie city-turned-country girl

Feb 18, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    Be really patient!

8. GTAllen

GTAllen Goat Feeder

Jul 22, 2012
    Walters, Oklahoma
    A pinch collar helps also.

9. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    I started today working with my two does. Its raining and cold out so we tried walking on a leash back and forth the barn. Had a little more success today than I did the last time I tried.. I got some animal crackers for treats and they won't touch them Got to find something else I guess.