It's almost time!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Harriet_and_Hens, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Harriet_and_Hens

Harriet_and_Hens Goat Newbie

Apr 26, 2015
    Hartsgrove, Ohio
    Well our Nigerian Dwarf, Roseanne, is due to kid on July 1st! This will be her second kidding, but the first for me on our farm, so naturally I'm a nervous nelly.

I've been watching everyone's kidding threads and making a list of supplies to get together but still do have just a couple of questions:

1) How much should the babies be kicking/ moving around? I have only felt what I think is them 'kicking' a couple of times.. is this normal or should there be lots of movement?

2) I am having trouble feeling her ligaments - the whole area feels soft to me (and has as long as I have been trying to feel something). I guess I'll just keep feeling for a difference of some kind?

3) How soon could she kid assuming 145 days for a mini and assuming all is normal? I just don't want to miss it - although I think she still has a bit of time.

4) Should I worm her now or wait until after she kids or just as needed? Should I worm the kids?

I'm so excited!!! Thanks in advance! :fireworks:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Can't count on movement or ligs. Goats usually go right around the 145 or 150 mark but they don't all read the book. Certainly they could kid a few days before or after. No guarantees on anything.

3. JK_Farms

JK_Farms New Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    1) I've had does be pregnant and I've not been able to feel kids. All does are different so don't worry!
    2) remember all does are different but as they progress they normally slowly loose their ligs
    3) plain for her to kid at 140 days
    4) don't worm her unless she is scouring
    Happy kidding!

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    1. Depends on the doe and number of kids she's carrying.

2. Ligs aren't very reliable. She might not change much when super close.

3. As early as 140 days is not unheard of. Be prepared for anything ;)

4. Only some wormers can be given to pregnant does. I would wait.

The kids should be treated for cocci at 2 weeks old.

Good luck :)

5. Harriet_and_Hens

Harriet_and_Hens Goat Newbie

Apr 26, 2015
    Hartsgrove, Ohio
    Perfect! Thanks everybody. This sets my mind at ease.. I was getting concerned about not being able to feel things - she is definitly growing and getting frustrated she can no longer squeeze into places she once could :smile: I'm excited!!