Ivermectin Pour On for lice and mites?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Feb 16, 2014.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Ok someone had suggested to me to try using Ivermectin pour on for mites and lice.

I can not seem to find a straight answer searching on line.

Is the Pour On effective in goats for treating lice and mites?

Is It safe? We have 5-6 week old kids that may have mites.

Safe for pregnant does? I'd like to know so I can put it in my notebook for future reference ;)

Dosage? What is effective, yet safe?

Also, I was told/read somewhere that you can take a little bit of Pour On, and rub it into the affected areas such as the legs? Is that true?

Thanks for any help.

2. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    According to what I've read, ivermectin pour on is effective for lice and mites. I believe ivermectin has the largest safety margin of all the wormers currently available. I know I've read several articles that state it is safe up to 10X the recommended dosage. Straight ivermectin(as opposed to ivomec plus) is safe for pregnant does. I can't help you with the dosage - I've never had to worm my goats or deal with lice/mites. I don't know about rubbing it on but, if you try it, I would wear gloves because the pour on is designed to be absorbed through the skin. If it contains DMSO, chances are good that it will be absorbed through your skin, too.

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks I appreciate it! Yeah, gloves are a must. I'll have to stay on the kids about touching them until the stuff dries on the goats skin.
    We may go ahead and dose 1cc per 22lbs. but if anyone knows an accurate dosage then I hope to find out, it's frustrating using something you aren't familiar with using.
    We usually use Cylence starting in January - May, but I feel it's effective on some, and not effective on others.

4. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    No problem! I hear you on the frustration part! :laugh:

5. BrileyGoats

BrileyGoats New Member

We used Ivermec orally to treat the biting type earlier this year and it worked wonderfully. I don't remember the exact dosage, maybe 1cc per 100#?

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We use the pour on for any heel mites. Rub in down to skin, paying attention to under dew claws. Repeat in 21 days. Usually two treatments zap it. Sometimes three.
    Have never used it as a wormer, just topical.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Nancy! We dosed everyone down their topline yesterday afternoon. The 2 does that have them on their legs seem to be improving, but I'm hoping to soak their legs in some warm vinegar water today, so I can get any scabs off, clean/disinfect, then I'll rub some Ivermectin pour on onto any of the worse areas on their legs. If their legs aren't too bad, I may just try to apply more Nu-Stock.

8. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    I've used it on top lines and also on the bucks legs. I put it in a syringe and spread it like you would a dogs "advantage". Pick up the foot and put a few drops on the dew claw area. Just make sure to wear gloves and also that it gets directly on the skin, spreading the hair is necessary. I dosed at 1cc/20# I use the cattle and swine pour on.

9. Everfree

Everfree New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    If I use ivermectin pour on at 1 cc/22 lbs, do I treat once or three times 10 days apart?

ETA: for lice

Everfree Farm
    Kiko and Nubian

10. happyhogs

happyhogs New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I have treated my boys at that same dosage and have done two treatments so far, ten days apart, and will do a third and final after another ten days. This is to ensure a total break in the life cycle of the lice or mites. In my case, possible mites.

11. Everfree

Everfree New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Thanks so much for the reply.

Everfree Farm
    Kiko and Nubian

12. bbellhbl

bbellhbl New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    NW Georgia
    1cc/11 lb orally (twice the recommended cattle dose) for worms. Works great.
    When I've used topically some of my goats' hair came out. Not every goat had that reaction. Any body else?

13. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    I used ivermectin pour on for mites last year and it worked really quickly. Went from a naked pig like appearance to full hair in less than a week. She has it again this year but I cannot find where I wrote down the dosage and treatment protocol! Not in my usual notebook, bummer.

14. bbellhbl

bbellhbl New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    NW Georgia
    1cc/22lb topically

15. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Haven't tried the pour on but the regular 1% injectable works wonders for mange and mites for future reference. I bought a boer doe at an auction who had some serious leg, udder, and underbelly mange and mites, two shots and her problems went away and all her hair grew back. :)

16. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    I did use 1cc/22 lbs poured straight line from neck to tail. She is a boer goat that usually has thick wool like coat. Sparse right now, but will report back when noticeable improvement is seen. I just applied it last night. Thanks all!

17. KOOLIE-WEDGIE

KOOLIE-WEDGIE New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Hello, just reading your older answers to the questions re: DOSE RATE FOR 'IVOMECTIN POUR-ON' FOR GOATS...(the vets wont say because its 'off label' for goats(in other words..he knows it works & is safe, but cannot advise as it isnt 'on the label for use with CAPRINES'???!!! uuggghhh! :/
    i have been asking vets and everyone i meet about DOSE/RATIO/WEIGHT/MLS/CCs/ POUNDS/KILOS etc, and am at screamng point from 'fustration' as nobody can tell me what DOSE RATE PER KILO, I WOULD USE FOR MY TWO ADULT GOATS....i have used the powder,shampoos etc, but i want to use what will WORK for the poor things, the Lice/Mites are stressing them badly......CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP???

18. DMSMBoers

DMSMBoers New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    Do you have a secret MsScamp? You've never wormed or you don't use Ivermec to worm with?

19. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    I used 1cc/22 lbs of ivomec pour on for cattle last year and it worked awesome. Needed it again this year for the same boer goat (my Nubians haven't lost hair, despite living In same pen) and after three days has started growing her hair back. Will treat again in ten days, treated the Nubians orally with Valbazen. Cleaned the pens down to dirt and sprinkled a generous dose of diatomaceous earth under fresh wood chip bedding. It worked well last year, hoping it will again this year.

20. bbellhbl

bbellhbl New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    NW Georgia
    2.2 lb per kilo. So... 1cc per 10 kilos topically (pour-on). Remember when using ORAL drench use twice cattle label for Ivomec.