Ivomec pour on dosage

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Maggie, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Does anyone know what the dosage for the ivomec pour on is for mites? I tried a search here, but didn't find the dose. Also should I put it down their backs or on their legs where the hair loss is?

2. Not sure on the pour on.
    Do you have injectable Ivermectin? That also will take care of the mites and or lice.

3. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Yes, they had 2 doses already. Injected, not topically. Their legs looks worse, so wanted to do something different.

4. :scratch: Interesting. It should have taken care of external buggers. Hope that the pour on works! I wonder if a whole different route like topically applying peremethrin oil would work better. That is whatI use so I don't have to give wormer unnecessarily.
    I put it in a needleless syringe and in the ND's I put 5-10cc's and then have no more external buggers

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    For heels & lower legs I just spray the cattle pour on every 21 days until it clears up. It usually only takes 2 or three times.
    Be sure to get it under dew claws using rubber gloves. If there are open sores they wont like it but too bad.

6. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Tried permethrin too, did absolutely nothing

7. Well I sure hope the Pour on works. Have you done a scraping? Are you sure it is a parasite as opposed to a fungus or something?

8. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Our vet did not do a scraping. He had thought it was a fungus, so that is what I was treating it like at first but just continued to get worse. But did the ivomec inj. just in case. At that time it was just on one doe. Was so bad she had celulitis (sp?) and was on antibiotics. I had another posting about her.
    I now have it on another doe and our young buck. At first they weren't itching, now they are all itching at it. No other goat has it.

9. Can you post a photo for everyones reference.
    I love your aviator by the way!

10. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Yep I already have pics. Its looks different on all of them
    This doe is the one that had it first. It looks dry and scaly all the way her leg. She had a couple raw bloody spots that did heal but her legs still look aweful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This doe started out like this. She had dots that looked like bites up further in her legs, with sorta amber colored crusties. She has lost more fur since. Shes a little crsuty under the heels like the other doe, but the rest of her legs don't look the same.
    [​IMG]
    The buck. He is not pastured anywhere near the does, but I do handle them all. His just looks like bare spots.
    [​IMG]

I find is strange that there is nothing on any of my other animals and I can't figure out what this is?

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I suggest you get a scraping for the vet to look at so you know exactly what you're dealing with for treatment.
    The bare spot on the doe above your buck pic looks like she's been gnawing at it because it probably itches.
    Do they stomp their feet?

12. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    No they don't stomp. I've seen the does itching at it, but not a whole lot. Its just really sensitive and they don't want to be touched, as I imagine it would hurt from the looks of it. The buck doesn't seem to be bothered whatsoever. I have never had mites, so nothing to go by for comparison.

13. MAW

MAW New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    That looks more fungal or bacterial to me. Could it be rain rot?

14. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    I thought it was rainrot too at first :shrug:

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I haven't used the pour on as a pour on so can't answer the dose. I have used Cydectin pour on as a drench and as a pour on and it is 1ml per 22 lbs. I just put it on with the applicator down their back from head to tail, it needs to make contact with the skin.
    I have yet to do it but plan on dusting my goats with Diatomaceous Earth. I have heard good things about it and started putting it in my grain as a worm prevention.

16. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Courtenay BC
    did you ever find a cure for this? I think I'm having the same problem just not only on the legs. ??????

17. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Not really to be honest. I did try the ivomec pour on on the buck, it did not help. All the goats also have the ivomec injectable. The only one that seems to be clearing up is the one that had the fever and was on nuflor. The other doe just looks worse and has celulitis now, so might have to try nuflor on her as well. I definately think it is a fungal/bacterial thing as our vet originally thought, not mites.

18. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Courtenay BC
    That's what I seem to think too. If you want to see pictures, there are some under a thread called "strange scabs on skin".. Thats what I'm up against. My vet is trying to help without getting a skin sample. If you check out the pictures can you let me know what you think???? :whatgoat: this stuff is driving me :GAAH:

19. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You know, at this point your vet should get a scraping so you know exactly what you're dealing with & how to effectively treat.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Those are scaly leg mites....
    inject her with Ivermectin.
    Dosage for injection.. 1cc per 100 lbs ...then give it again.. 2 to 3 weeks later..

2 to 3x total..if the goat was really bad... I'd give 3x instead of 2x :wink: