joint ill ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lacy_94, Oct 25, 2007.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    just wondering if anyone has every ad a goat that got joint ill and how old she/ he is.... Cause my boer doeling has it and her joints have lot of imflamation in it we have her on a sertain medicene now.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have never had a goat with it, (thank you Lord). How old is your goat that has it? I just talked about it at my last goat meeting, because we are telling everyone what to have on hand for med kits and (kidding kits), "I have a lot of new 4Hers". We started talking about 7% Iodine, and what we are going to use now. Then we talked about the joint ill. One of the mom's had a friend that had a Angora with it. She was two and she was SO bad, that with the cold Colorado weather , they are going to have to put her down, because she is in so much pain. Now I am sure she had it really bad.

3. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    the goat is 2 1/2 weeks and the vet said we caught it pretty early. But if she start showing alot of distress we will pobably put her down.

4. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    never had a goat with it, but did have a calf. it was caught early and treated with batril and banamine. She made it through with no lasting effects. I hope you goat does the same. What is the are you treating her with?

5. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    we are treatingh her with naxel and banamine

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, I will pray that this little one pulls out of this. If the goat is only two and a half weeks, that sounds like you got it early. I now people that didn't figure what it was until a few months old. Keep up updated.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh boy that is scary.

Naxcel is a good antibiotic

8. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    just a update ,,,, The bay is fine she is 6 weeks old and is doing great other than being blind she is showing no sight of the joint ill but im gonna keep a close eye on her .Also we might be geting a wether for company.Right now my border colie is playing mom...

9. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    So glad to hear that!!!! When your loving on her, rub your hands down her legs and check for any heat. But you might have already known that!! If you get a wether get it young. Blind animals can do very well!! I know I've got one, she is also the cow I have that survived joint ill. I am about to loose her but not due to her blindness or joint ill.
    If you want to know what I did for my blind cow let me know!!

10. Wendyann

Wendyann New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I know I'm bumb when it comes to this stuff, but could someone tell me what joint ill is? I have never heard of it. :oops:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Joint Ill is when the navel was not cleaned well or dipped in Iodine 7%, and they get a infection in threw the navel. It is very painful and can cause death. It affects the joints, and they are swollen and all hot. Not a pretty thing to deal with. it is SO important to always dip the navel, no matter how old the baby is.

12. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    Joint ill is also known as Navel ill, and septic arthritis. Dipping the navel is important. But so is colostrum. the baby needs those antibodies. In some cases it is possible for the baby to contract joint ill before it is even born through the momma blood.

13. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    never heard about kids thart were infected before they were born.
    clean bedding, if births are not attended, is sufficient to prevent navel ill.
    instead of iodine, chlorhexiderm(nolvasan ) can be used to desinfect navel and hoofs right after birth.

14. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    she died the other day to bloat ;(

15. Wendyann

Wendyann New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I am so sorry to hear that she died. :(

16. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i am so sorry to hear that. it is really hard but you have done all you could for her.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    lacy_94, I am so sorry to heat that. After all the you did for her and bloat got her. Hugs to you. Sometimes it just showes, whaatever we do to save them the Lord wants them more, and he will take them. You were a WONDERFUL mom to that goat.

18. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    the goat bloated because of toxians or somin , i thought i had fed her to much, a goat laty told me there was nothing we could have done to save her and she gave us some meds to keep my other babys' healthy...

19. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    i am sorry you lost her. she had a rough start in life, for sure. you did what you could; sometimes the deck is just stacked the wrong way for these little ones.

20. imqueen73

imqueen73 New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Hi. I have been searching and searching for help or advice. I currently have a 4 week old Boer buckling with joint illness. I received a call that a lady's goat had triplets and 1 wasnt getting to nurse. I went and picked hi m up . 9 days ago. 4 days later called a vetas he is feeding of bottle fine, but wouldn't stand or walk. Still lethargic. Vet said she thought is was naval illness . We started al200 2x a day and banamine 2 x a day. Now his eyes are cloudy. Vet only said to finish antibiotics course. Can anyone tell me what I may have gotten myself into. I have 7 other Boer goats all were bottle babies. My 12 yr old 4h' er is becoming very attached.