Kids mean to knew goat kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by chiwapacreek, Feb 17, 2017.

1. chiwapacreek

chiwapacreek New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    I have 5 6 week old Nubian kids and just brought home a 2 week old Nubian kid. Mom wouldn't let him nurse do he was being bottle fed anyway. My kids are being extremely hard on the new one. Any ideas on something I could build for him to escape to??

2. jschies

jschies Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Could you get him something like a cat carrier or small dog kennel? Something big enough for him, but too small for the others..

3. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Connect 3-4 pallets together standing up and remove just enough slat for him to get through. You can get all fancy and screw them together or just tie them with bailing twine. I've used 3 and tied them to the fencing in the pen. This is also an easy/cheap way to set up a creep feeder area.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good suggestions.

You can put the baby in with the docile kids, even if it is 1 or 2 kids, that way that baby can bond with another goat kid or kids. The new kid will have a friend that way. Of course you will have to have mamma's and babies in an area together so those kid can bond. It may take a week or two. But worth a try.

5. chiwapacreek

chiwapacreek New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks!! Great odeas

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    You bet, good luck. :)

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    How are things?

8. chiwapacreek

chiwapacreek New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    The first night I tried putting a docile kid in with him but she acted crazy bc she wasn't with the other kids so I got two pallets and attached them in the corner and moved a slat over so he could fit in. He's fine. They tolerate him now in the pasture but still don't like him in "their" stall at night so he gets in his little area

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Whatever works, right? Glad he has a safe place to go and at least is near them.