Kids Not Walking

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SolidRockFarmTX, Feb 16, 2017.

1. SolidRockFarmTX

SolidRockFarmTX Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Knox City, TX
    Not sure if this would go in the Kidding Koral instead? Sorry if so!

I had two kids born last night around 7pm, so they're 20 hours old as of this writing, and they're having problems getting on their feet and walking. The girl seems delicate but she can stand on all her hooves, I haven't seen her actually walk yet. The boy I haven't actually seen stand, his legs just are very floppy, and he's putting the front of his pasterns on the ground instead of his front hooves.

They're both very lively and alert and healthy seeming, and try to get up and move around constantly, I wouldn't call them weak. They did get colostrum about an hour after birth (we had to hold the mom still to let them nurse, but they both found the teat easily and went to town) and have eaten consistently since then.

Mom Sel-Vit E gel about three weeks ago, and all three of them got a dose this morning.

My plan is to massage the buckling's front legs to help them straighten out and keep making sure they're eating and hopefully the selenium will kick in, BUT: another post I read said that it could also be copper deficiency, so my question:

Is there a way to tell if it is copper deficiency versus selenium or something else?

I don't have any copper on hand, what do you guys recommend as the best/fastest product/source/dosage?

Also, another post I read said that lack of room in the uterus can cause bent joints like that, and these twins were in a pretty small doe, so I'm thinking that might also be related...

Thanks ya'll in advance! :)

2. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Active Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    My guess would be selenium. The oral takes longer to work than the injectable.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You will need to give the oral selenium time to work.

4. SolidRockFarmTX

SolidRockFarmTX Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Knox City, TX
    So I've read, and I wish I had Bo-Se. I live in the middle of nowhere where nobody has goats and when I called the closest vet office to ask about getting some they didn't even know what it was. *headbang* *facepalm* *suchfrustration*

5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    How often do you usually give selenium/e gel?

Is the dam letting them nurse now?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I never used the paste selenium, only Bo-se so, I can't tell you much about it. But the kids do need some.

7. SolidRockFarmTX

SolidRockFarmTX Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Knox City, TX
    Three weeks ago was their first dose, it took me a while to figure out if it was needed in our area and to find a source. The plan is to give it to them monthly.

Toth boer goats the kids got a dose yesterday morning :)

The dam is standing MUCH better for them when we help them, and when I went out to help them feed at noon today I THINK that they had eaten since I had been out last (YAY!!) Their bellies were full, they weren't hungry, and the dam was less swollen. So hopefully she's learning.

The kids are also slightly improved, they're legs are still buckly and wobbly, but I saw the buckling stand and they're both more mobile.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    All good to hear. :)

9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Are the kids all up & about now?

Glad you were able to treat it quickly! Selenium/E oral gel is just as effective as long as you give it monthly to the whole herd! A bit of a hassle if you have a very large herd or not particularly tame goats but otherwise it works great.

10. SolidRockFarmTX

SolidRockFarmTX Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Knox City, TX
    The doe is perfectly fine, the buck is like 60% improved. I splinted the first joints of his front legs because he was walking on his knuckles, otherwise he's consistently improving. The mom is also letting them eat fine now! :)

That's good to know! Thanks! :)

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Glad they are improving. :)