Kinder goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Itchysmom, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Who here has Kinder goats?

Can you tell me a bit about them? Did you buy them or breed for them?

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    My friend had a doe; she was smaller than a full size Nubian and a VERY good milker, and her kids, when bred back to a Boer, were very meaty..and delicious.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do believe a member "lissablack" breeds them

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I've had 4 Kinder wethers as pets throughout my time. They were all bottle babies & loved being with people. They are extremely cute as kids. Our current wether Monte' took more of the Nubian size--he's pretty big & dopey but he's such a lover lol!
    The nigerian dwarf breed really took ahold of my heart though & that's what we breed & raise.

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yes, I just found this. I have them, they are wonderful. Because they are a cross there is sometimes a lot of variation in the early generations. I had a 200 pound buck, although he is in the freezer now. (72 pounds of ground goat meat) They aren't supposed to be that big.

I started mine here in New Mexico, there weren't any here that you could find at least. In Washington you can get kinders.

Jan

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I have four and one that is kinder (mom) and nubian cross (dad). She is taller and has the pretty, long Nubian ears.

I didn't know what a kinder was til Lisa started talking about them. I was like, Hey! I have some kinders and didn't even know it! :laugh:

Gina

7. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    What exactly is a Kinder? Is it a size or a particular breed?

8. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    A kinder is a cross between a pygmy and a nubian - to start you'd breed a nubian doe with a pygmy buck...doing it opposite may increase the chances of labor/delivery issues - you can imagine a small pygmy trying to push out a nubian cross kid!

Mini-nubians are a cross between a nigerian dwarf and a nubian. I'm working towards kinders and mini nubians as I have both types, but I'm VERY far from WA! :)

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have a doe whose grandmother was a pygmy goat. I think she was an old style pygmy, I think they are being bred down. Maybe the nubian buck was small too. I don't really know how well that worked out, but at least some kids survived, the mother of my doe. I would never do it.