lice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by naturalgoats, Mar 7, 2011.

1. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    hi,
    Pippin has had lice since last year. he's itchy but apart from that doesn't seem to be bothered. Someone at southern states recommended food grade diatomaceous earth... does anyone have any experience with this?
    Is there anything else that might be good? I'd rather not use any nasty chemicals since it doesn't really seem to bother him too much... but it might be nice to get rid of them......
    Thanks!
    Miranda

2. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The DE is a "natural" way to get rid of them BUT even if you think they aren't bothering him too much, imagine how it feels to be constanly bitten by something you can't see, I would consider dusting him with either Sevin or Python livestock dust, as well as his home. There are 2 types of lice, biting and sucking, both can cause other issues with hair loss, sores that lead to infection and the sucking lice can cause anemia. If Pippin has them then so does Merry.

The DE can be given in food to help with internal parasites but to rid them of external, you'll need to use it as a dust.

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I have a really hard time thinking that DE can do anything internally because the way it works on contact is it dehydrates the insect causing death. We use it in a dust bath for out chickens and it works great that way (do NOT breath in the dust, and don't get it in your eyes, same for youy animals) But I reeally don't see it doing a whole lot internally.

Yes, it is natural, (fossilized agae I believe) and I am all for that! But remember just because something is natural doesn't mean it is the best product. Lots of Natural things are quite deadly.

Breathing in DE can be quite harmful to your lungs. If you already have lung problems don't use it.

4. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Sevin dust like you use on plant's? My lil vinny has some hair loss on his ear's, i don't see any bug's could it be lice??

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I also have used Seven dust, works GREAT!! It should be at a local feed store and its not that expensive!

6. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Yes, the plant dust, you can get it in the canister or the bag, though my goats don;t have lice, I do use it in the barn after a thorough cleaning to keep the insects away..I even splatter it on the walls , it helps keep flies down too.
    Just don't breathe it in and when you apply it close to your goats nose or eyes, sprinkle it in your hand first then rub it in.

DE doesn't only dehydrate, it also slices up parasites due to it's microscopic razor sharp composition...it won't hurt an animal, just the parasites that inhabit that animal.

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I know that a whole lot of people feel DE works well as an ingestable parasite control, but I just don't understand how it works internally. Externally it slices the protected coverings of the bugs and then dehydrates them. Works GREAT! But I don't get how something can be dried out when it is in a wet enviroment such as the intestines. I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that I don't understand how :doh: LOL!

8. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I use a product called Cylence that is approved for cattle. Works awesome in the goats & can be used on young kids also. 1cc per 25 pounds down the their neck & back. It is recommended on Fiasco Farms website. Made by Bayer, it's a pour-on insecticide for control of horn flies, face flies, biting & sucking lice on beef & dairy cattle including lactating cattle. I've used it on my goats every spring & I think it's awesome. Very easy to use & I've never had any bad effects develop from it. It works quickly. An initial application makes a huge difference & it is recommended to follow up with a 2nd dose after 3 weeks to make sure they lice doesn't come back.

9. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    @Pelican Acres (or other who use similar products) have you used this on Preggo doe's??? I had someone ask me about using Ultra Boss on Preggo doe's (or Permethrin, etc)... I had to think about it, but I've never actually used it on my doe's DURING their pregnancy...but I do know that my Ultra Boss bottle has no meat withdrawal and no milk withdrawal AND says it's say for lactating animals... So?????

10. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I have used coral on pregnant does, seemed to work well.
    Caryn

11. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Traci--I called the company last year about using it on pregnant does & the rep never called me back, the first person from the company I talked to said it's a product for cattle & they really can't give info for other animals. I just used it on my pregnant does though that are due within this month.

12. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Hi,
    Thank you all.
    I don't like the look of Sevin because we have honeybees and it is supposed to be very toxic to them.
    is this the coral thing? http://www.flycontrolcenter.com/CoRal.asp is it for lice as well?
    I looked up python and I think I could get that fairly cheaply locally. does anyone know anything about its toxicity?
    this site http://www.americanlivestock.com/pc-174 ... -dust.aspx says that the active ingredient is Zetacypermethrin and this pdf seems to indicate not so great things about Zetacypermethrin's affects...http://msds.fmc.com/msds/100000015211-MSDS_US-E.pdf

I'm just not sure and I'm really worried about using something that could harm anything in our creek or on the farm...... maybe I'm being silly but.......

has anyone used neem oil before? we've tried it on our chickens and it seemed to work.....
    thank you so much,
    Miranda

13. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I don't think you are being silly at all! Especially about bees. So many bees are dying in recent years, and much of it is due to pest control poisons.

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Lice can and WILL kill a goat. Have you checked his eyelids? He is likely suffering from anemia. Give him Ivomec injectable (use as an injectable NOT oral) 0at the rate of 1cc per 100 lbs of body weight. Give him Red Cell for a few days and dust EVERYTHING.... barns shelters...places he rubs on with Sevin Dust and/or DE. Give him another dose of Ivomec in 3 weeks.

15. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    will his eyelids be pale if he has anemia?

16. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    Look into yellow dusting sulfur.
    http://www.homesteadorganics.ca/goats.aspx
    -and according to Pat Coleby, eradicate lice completely.
    They say "less than 2% of feed." Some people say giving too much sulfur can induce polio in goats.
    An observation I have made: When my goats eat feed with lots of molasses in it, the lice seem to like them better.

17. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    OK, so both goats are anemic. what would you suggest. I'm going to try and get a fecal done on them in the next day or so. They seem perfectly healthy apart from the fact that the eyelids are pale (I'd say FAMACHA 3 or 4) One website said something about vitamin B supplements?? what else would you suggest? I guess I may just have to go with a chemical to get rid of the lice.... we'll see.
    Thank you all!
    Miranda