Limping Pygmy goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Froggy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hey ya'll---I need a little help with my pygmy doe.
    She's been limping off and on for a couple months, but is always very skittish and hard to catch, so I kept putting off checking her (bad idea!). Anyway, more recently, she has been limping all the time, so today I caught her to check her hooves. In addition to having one of her back hooves quite overgrown, she has a small, moist, sore area sort of between the heels of her hooves. What do you suppose this is? How do I treat it?

Thank you,

Froggy

2. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    That is a sore. She needs her hooves trimmed and treated. Hooves should be trimmed at least every five weeks to prevent hoof rot. After trimming her down, soak the area with vinegar. Others on here who have treated this should have some more advice.

Also want to add -- don't feel too bad about this, especially if she is skittish. It's a hard job to trim and I never would have thought when I started out that the hooves would need care so often.

3. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The sore area is likely the result of the over growth and getting debris stuck that caused rubbing, wash it well and dry it very well, you'll need to keep checking her daily too, spraying the area with BluKote and allowing it to dry before she bears weight on it will help heal it quicker.