Little Feta's better ❗ Thank you!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Oreosmom, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    She seemed fine this morning, then we noticed blood and bloody diarrhea last stool was all poops in one row much larger than usual covered in mucus with a line of blood alongside the string of poo. She's been yawning much more than usual, and grinding her back teeth. I took her temperature, 102.2, She had lost her appetite until I came out with a large boquet off their fav hedge which seemed to be just what she wanted, she ate quite a bit, then went to her bed. What ever is in her bowels got to pass, poor little cheese head actually cries out when she poops. I dewormed her and her mom, I gave her an enima with a drop of soap, and a few drops of evoo. I have set with her with a cool cloth as it was over 100* here today. We have two ideas of what made her sick. One is she ate the wild plums in the yard that are just starting to fall, and she is having a hard time passing the little seeds thier cherry size plums. , or a Lilly plant that sprouts stems of beautiful pods on the top that go from green to red when their done. She nibbles on everything, and those pods are bright like her squash. I think I saw a few with bites in them. And yes, we have removed all of them. She's resting now that she ate something. We're so worried Is there any thing else I can do for her tonight. Vet says if still sick she will see tomorrow. I just can't stand to see her like this. I haven't seen her pee or drink, just glad to see her eat with attitude, pushing her mom out of her way to get the best bites.

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Is she anemic? How old is she?

Oreosmom likes this.

3. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    How could I tell if she's anemic? Up untill now she's ate like a horse. Shes 9 mo. old. Never been sick a day off her life. FYI she is a pigmy, only about 25'lbs. I checked her eyes, nice fleshy pink.

kathy_ likes this.
  4. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Checking for anemia is just checking the inner lower eyelid color. Dark link to red is healthy, medium pink is moderate, light pink to white is dangerous.

Have the vet run a fecal.

Oreosmom likes this.
  5. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Eyes are a dark pink flesh, but we did pick up that last poo and was thinking the same thing. Poor baby, just not happy today. She keeps getting on our laps to cuddle. Feel bad she has to sleep out side.

6. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Almost 1:AM, Monday morning, checked on Feta and mom Oreo. They are up and eating their alfalfa. I saw her drinking earlier, and watched her go to the bathroom. Urine clear, out put seems good. But her poor poo. It seems to be darker than the previous one. Still alot of mucus? A little blood still, But seems to have more poo pellets nugging up. Less diarrhea. Actually it's better then previous poo. And she's not crying when she poo's now. Which is great! She's more alert. Hopefully it's no more than this, and she gets better. I will check on her in a few hours.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I'd be getting activated charcoal into her. I'd also have a fecal done to include coccidia. Make sure you tell the vet about the plums. Pits are poisonous.

Oreosmom and Madgoat like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good advice.

Oreosmom likes this.
  9. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Update.. so Feta seems to be doing better. She's eating alfalfa, both hay and pellets. She's drinking plenty of water. Urine clear. But she hasn't pooped since last night/early am. No fever, eyes deep pink. She isn't bloated, or indistress that I can tell. Yesterday she wouldn't eat a soda cracker. Today she came running when she heard the crackers wrapper. I put a little evoo on the crackers which she gobbled up shoveling mom (Oreo) away so she could get most of them. All that fuss over 5 crackers. I'm hoping the oil might loosen up anything in there. I checked with the Grange co-op and they do have the activated charcoal, orally administrated. But with her up and acting normal, not bloated or lithartic, I hate to treat her if that's not the problem. I do have a pk of Saline laxative enemas too.(Though I am going to buy the charcole to add to the pets med supplies) we just got to see her poop before we're out of the woods.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  10. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Is she in a pen where you would definitely see if she's pooped? It can be easy to miss.

toth boer goats and Oreosmom like this.
  11. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Our backyard is her pen. The only other poop is her mothers, and oddly enough and I know what poop belong to which goat. Mom's poo is by far actually larger pellets than Feta's. Mom weighs more and is a bit taller. Feta has a smaller poop, with a more tear drop shape. We really don't have to search for them, these little ones are potty trained and I have put a potty pad on the deck and which they think is wonderful as every time they use it they get praise and extra love. We usually only use the potty pads when goats are in the house or in motels. They got it in their minds WE like to see them poop, so they show off to let us know their using the pad. Keeping in mind Feta is only 25 lbs. They have free range of the yard, and often the family room in the back of the house.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  12. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Thanks for your caring and constructive words. I believe we might be out of the woods. Feta's poo is back to it's almost black pellets. But...Their coming out in clumps of them as if there was too much wet foods like watermelon, or sweet potatoes in her diet. She's not had those foods since Christmas..but I know how to fix clumply poop by just giving alfalfa pellets and hay and water. No BOSS, calf manna, not even a peanut. No fruit, not even her fav..dehydrated Bananas and carrots. I picked up their dried corn cobs so if she wants anything but alfalfa she will have to graze. We've checked the yard for any new sprouting things and hopefully got everything. Today we opened the goat house and washed the bedding. We checked everywhere for little things including mold, as they are goats and love to put those lips on everything!! I often forget no matter how hardy they seem, small things can take them out so quickly. I'm so glad I found this group to get advice, options, and information from people who know, and care for these wonderful little animals. Thanks again!

13. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Active Member

May 21, 2017
    I gotta say, the puppy pad thing is by far the cutest thing I have read in awhile. I am glad your sweet girl is doing better! I am convinced goats are hiding angel wings somewhere in there!

Oreosmom and wndngrvr like this.
  14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Are you giving probiotics? That should help with the clumpy poop.

15. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    The poo quickly returned to the raining pellets, and Little Miss Feta Cheese Head is back to her happy little self. I didn't know about probiotics being good for the clumps.. I've got regular and chewable. I know that the goats sure love the chewable vit C. But then again love anything in my pockets. I have to say I do spoil them. Their diet is mainly alfalfa, morning and at night, the two of them eat about a flake a day between them, midday they they get a cup of pellets and half a cup of grain. Often with a handful of BOSS or calf mana. I have tried all sorts of fruits and veggies and found them to be picky. Fruit wise, apples, kiwi w/skin, pears, and grapes cut in half, they don't like grapes uncut..odd. Sometimes they like bananas soft, but that makes poo clumply. But I dehydrate bananas into chips and they love them even more. They snub most veggie greens, but spinach, they like summer squash like butternut skin on and carrots raw or dehydrated into chips. And of course the very fav the salty kettle chips and peanuts with shell on. They may only get a peanut or cupple chips a day, or a slice or two off an apple I'm eating, but they sure like searching for them in the pockets when I go in the yard. They are so loving and caring, silly and fun. Them using potty pads is such a blessing, especially after a long ride in the car. Of course they go right away when let out of the car. And when we take them out on a leash, but during the night they look for the pad and use it. We also carry a doggy gate, and moving blanket and gate them in bathroom area with a potty pad, and blanket. As long as they also have food and water it's not that bad make short trips with them. Oreo rarely baas and Feta has maybe baa'd 100 times in her whole life. Yes, she can..5 of those were with her enima. Poor Baby. We just love our goats!!!

16. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Glad she's doing well :)

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Glad all is well. :)