long white worms

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by littlebrownpam, May 19, 2017.

1. littlebrownpam

littlebrownpam New Member

Aug 6, 2013
    hi, yesterday one of my goats had a wet poo containing 1" long white worms that looked dead, possibly. They were chemically wormed 6 months ago. I would like to use naturel wormer but in Portugal cannot get any ready made naturel wormer and will have to order probably from America. I am feeding every day with garlic, fennel, wormwood, pumpkin seeds which we have to hand but don't know what quantity's are needed to have any affect. checking there eyelids against the famacha chart they are on
    Doreen 1
    strimmer 1 - 2
    Josie 2 - 3
    Layla 5
    this is the 1st time of doing this so are not experts. obviously these are not good readings and may need to chemically wormed strait away . at the moment they are holding there Waite and coats look ok. we will be checking eyelids for any improvement each day. does anyone have exsperanice with these natural worming foods, amounts and expected times to see improvement. or are things at a stage where I should chemically worm and start again. any advise would be appreciated. cheers pam

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Sounds like the one has tapeworm.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Can you get fecal tests done?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    It does sound like tapes.

5. littlebrownpam

littlebrownpam New Member

Aug 6, 2013
    hi cheers for response. I have added pic of poo. gross. the worms don't seem to be flat like I would expect tape worm to be?. will try and fined out about fecal testing but very much doubt it

Attached Files:

6. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Yes, tape worms are flat & kind of crawl. I think they might be less than an inch long but not sure--I try not to look! Do you think the worms are causing that diarrhea?

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Those are Strongyloides, I deal with them quite often here. The clumpy green poo is common for them to cause too.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Eww is right, treat for Strongyloides as Goathiker indicated.