Mini Boers

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Hay Babies, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Hay Babies

Hay Babies New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I've been breeding small Boer goats. They look like Boers, and are the size of nigerians. Is there a Registery for these guys? All I can find are mini dairy breeds. :ponder:

Thanks, Becky

Jensen Hollow Farm

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    No registry for mini boers..... Haven't ever seen or heard of them? :shrug:

Do you have any pics? :thumb:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ^Yeah, would love to see pics! I've always wanted someone to start mini boers. They just sound neat.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mini boers?
    hmm

Boers are already pretty short, would love to see pics

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    wow, mini boers! that sounds perfect for something i been thinking of. i would love to see pics too! are they musclely/strong?

6. flatmountain

flatmountain New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I too would like pictures :)

I would like this option if it maybe made a better dual purpose goat. I want a milk goat/meat goat that is not over large. Maybe it would improve the milking without adding height like most of the dairy breeds would.

Can you tell?

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I would also love to see this, with the meat market around here. But isn't this why they breed Nubians into Boer lines? To make more milk, yet still have meat? Just curious. I don't really konw, but am interested!

8. jberter

jberter New Member

Hi Becky,,
    like the rest of the Boer goat breeders on here and a Boer goat breeder myself,,,I would also like to see pictures of what you have produced with the Boer breed... :whatgoat: Also,, how long have you been breeding them to have been able to get such a small size?? Inquiring minds are wondering,, :) Are these pure breed Boers you have down sized or crosses with another goat breed??? :?
    Betty

9. flatmountain

flatmountain New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I just assumed it was a nigi cross :oops: maybe not though...

And yes the nubian/boer cross is interesting to me, but I don't want boer hefty with nubian tall :wink: I want small, solid, and milkable... you know, cake and eat it too!
    I am also fond of the long ears.

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    i have thot about breeding my boer does to a pygmy buck...just not sure how they would look

11. jberter

jberter New Member

bump ,,,,,for the info on the ""Minny Boers",,, would like to see pictures Becky of your goats you have,,, as asked before with your first question for all,, have you been keeping the runts or smaller babys and just breeding them for getting smaller boers through the years,,, or , have you been crossing the boers with the smaller milk nubian or just small goats in general... :scratch: pictures of your goats would help others also on here answer your question..hummm, must have taken you a while to produce small ones..how long have you been breeding for small boers??
    Betty

12. watson

watson New Member

May 13, 2015
    My father has had two dwarf goats born from fullblood boer both parents reg.they are the size of 11 wk old babys born small also. I have seen this before this lady decided to bred her mini and it died in birth.

13. springkids

springkids New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    North Carolina

I have never done this, but I have heard they were very stocky, compact, and were very hardy. I would be curious to what they would look like as well....

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    This is a very old post guys.

They aren't mini "boers" being crossed. They are just bred with something of smaller statue.
    It is very dangerous, if a smaller breed is bred to a large boer buck, this should never be attempted.

Some boers are stunted and may appear to be miniature boer, but it is just they did not grow to full potential. A lot of things can cause this.
    I wouldn't try to stunt a boer, just to try to breed for a so called "miniature", for the reasoning that the boer, may still has big genetics behind them and that goat can produce regular size boer itself. If too small, the Doe should not be bred to a bigger goat type breed, only a smaller type breed.

15. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    We have started to breed mini boers in Australia. I have purchased boer girls. They are all just slightly small but not by that much. It was more important to us to be good quality and conformation. This way we have been able to use my australain mini buck over these girls. We have 3 mini boer that are now 10 months old. So soon we will put my buck with our full boer does again, but the 10 month old ones will be taken out of the paddock and put in a different yard. They will be bred at 1 and a half to my smaller mini buck.

16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    When I had a mixed herd (standard Dairy, Boers and Nigerians) The Nigerian bucks got loose and bred a bunch of the Boer and Dairy girls. This was long before "Minis". The Boergerians came out looking just like their moms but were half her size in height. Some had blue eyes. They were very chunky and meaty looking.

17. springkids

springkids New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    North Carolina

I agree. The gentlemen that I know that does this breeds boer does to a pygmy buck. I haven't personally seen the kids themselves, but he produces kids for market and he says they do very well. One of his reasons for this breeding is the buck is easier to handle....

18. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Active Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I would love to see them! I'd love some mini's! If someone could breed smaller boers that would be so cool!

19. springkids

springkids New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    North Carolina
    I'm more partial to my standard size boers personally, but I can see how others would prefer them smaller. Especially if they are wanting pets.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree, LOL, I want big boer, they are suppose to be for meat and I do not see the mini version as being very good in the meat department, volume wise. ;-)