Mom rejecting 1 of 3 kids WHY?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Suellen, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Thursday Christy had 3 kids 2girls and 1boy. She is now rejecting one of the girls. It's more than not letting her nurse
    she will but the poor kid. This is the little girl that we had to bottle feed and work with to get her drinking from the teat. :hammer:
    Baby goat was on the teat Friday and Saturday then Sunday Christy didn't want anything to do with her and didn't
    want her around. I had to remove Christy from the birthing stall and all 3 babies because I was afraid she would hurt
    the one. WOW did I have a pissed off Mom goat. :angry: She wanted to take it out on everybody. I had to hobble her to milk
    her. When she buts with the other goats it did not look like playing. She also wants a piece of Henna our LGD puppy.
    I don't like seeing any of my goats upset but I can't think of any way that she can be with her kids.
    If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Suellen :hair:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Did you take all the babies from her? Are you doing hat also so you can milk her?

Sometimes they reject a baby because they know something is wrong with them. It is kind of weird that she would reject that baby after she was in with her fora few day.

I would put her in the milk stand and let that baby nurse.

3. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, after having the doeling with her and then rejecting her, mom senses that there is something wrong...if she was taking care of ther other 2 then I would let them with her, but keep the rejected one away and bottlefeed.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Two options here:
    1) remove the kid she doesnt like, foster it on another doe or bottle rear it.
    2) force her to accept all three kids.

I tend to go with option two because those does need to do their job properly for me. So here's what I would do. I use a metal mesh crate inside the kidding pen, I put ALL the kids into that so that she cant hurt the one and cant feed the other two. Then I tie the doe up and let the kids out to nurse. Hold her still if necessary, sometimes even tying her leg to the fence is necessary. Dont let her smell the kids at all. When they are finished nursing put all of them back in the crate. I do this several times a day, depending on how old and strong the kids are. After a few days she starts to struggle less when you tie her to feed them, and eventually she will accept them. The longest I've gone like this was two weeks.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    everyone has such good advice..... :wink: :greengrin:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Did you give the baby milk from another mom? I did this with Kitten and Sweet Pea took her back till Kitten started to poop out the milk that wasnt from SP and then SP was butting her and stomping at her, I had to remove her till she was bigger. I help SP for Kitten to nurse but she never accepted her as her own.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is what I was thinking also. Once they smell like another goats baby they will not normally take theme back.
    How are things going?

8. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Wow so many ideas I hadn't thought of. Sunday I tried having the baby around Christy and she butt her. The little one wasn't even trying to nurse.

I haven't had any other goats near the kids.

someone is going to buy the boy and pick him up today. That will leave the girl she likes and the girl she doesn't like.

I think I am going to try and force Christy to except the kid partly because it makes my heart ache seeing Christy so sad and/or pissed off.

I will keep you posted on our progress.

Suellen

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thanks for the update. Congrats on selling the boy, are they keeping him as a buck or did you already band him? Just wondering. :thumbup:

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    yes... thank you for updating ...and congrats on the selling him... :wink:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I hope she takes her back....but not to be cynical...I just dont think she will. But they prove me wrong every day :shades:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    that is a fact....sometimes you never know... :shrug:

13. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    You can try putting the one she likes with the other one. Where mom can still see them like on the other side of the fence for a while. When you put them back with mom put vickes on both babies bottoms and on moms nose. Sometimes mom can't till which one is her favorite and will take both or she can reject both or still just like her favorite. This way is a gamble. Now having said all that I'm one who believe unless the animal in question is sick or hurt they will feed their babies. I've measure out grain for the day and the only time mom gets some is when she's in the stand feeding her babies. I avoid bottle feeding at all cost. Yes I know I'm weird. Shelly

14. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    The people who bought the boy are going to band him and dehorn him.

Christy is not feeling well. A little droopy and she keeps shifting her weight on the back legs like she can't get comfortable or doesn't want to stand on them at the same time. Sunday mornings she wouldn't even talk to her kids. We gave her another shot of PCN (The birthing Friday we had to reach in and turn 2 of her 3 kids. I hope there is no infection). In the evening she was talking to her kids while they nursed.
    I did get her to nurse both babies. I took poop from the one she likes and put it on the butt of the one she doen't like. I also put just a dab of pee from the one she likes on the head of the one she doesn't like. She sniffed both kids and didn't butt her. I am not sure I would leave her alone with her kid yet. I put her in a stall with her 1year old wether. He is so upset that Mom doesn't feel good. Her temp is normal. She pees, poops, eats and chews cud. I've been giving her a lot of TLC brushing, petting and her favorite grain.

That's what I know and don't know
    Suellen

15. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, at least her little outcast was able to get a good meal from mom, I hope she continues to do so.

Have you tried giving mom some probiotics? The antibiotic will disrupt the rumens bacteria, maybe mom is just still sore from the delivery? Get her temp and keep loving on her, as well as the goodies she's been getting, as long as she's eating and drinking eliinating and chewing her cud I would think that she'll be fine. I you do notice an awful smelling discharge, contact a vet asap as she may have an uterine infection, which is possible but not highly likely.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with Liz, if she is eating and drinking that is the best thing. I would maybe give her some calcium. Keep a eye on her temp.

17. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I just had to pitch in my two bits..The pee thing is what we did with a doe that loved one baby and hated the other, although we took alot of the pee from the loved baby, patted it all over the non loved baby, and all was safe and fine the next day, mum was in love with both the babies..Good job keeping a good eye on the mom!!

18. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Re: Mom rejecting 1 of 3 kids WHY? update

Here is another update:
    Christy is feeling better. She will nurse both kids even sniff and clean both kids but when the kid she likes is done nursing the kid she doesn't really like is out of luck. She will still butt the kid she doesn't like. I don't leave her alone with the kids. Maybe when the kids are bigger but right now they are only a week old. They are so cute and funny.

Suellen

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am glad to hear that she is letting the other one nurse. There is hope that she will accept that one.

Sounds like you have done a wonderful job with them and her.

20. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    This may raise some hackels, but why don't you just bottle feed? I do cause I want a dog-goat and am milk greedy. It just seems that if mom is so upset at kid then the bottle feeding will help insure a healthy kid? Just my thoughts and I only have 1 kid right now.