My goat is missing hair on his nose

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by firegurl126, May 8, 2010.

1. firegurl126

firegurl126 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    I have a 5 year old weather that is missing a good amount of hair on his nose. He is about 100#. From what I have read it seems that he is not getting enough copper. I was wondering if there was anyway to get him more copper with out having to bolus him. I have never done it before and would rather mix something in his food. He is UTD on worming and shots. He or his brother will not eat loose minerals. So every other day I have to shread carrots and mix the minerals in. Trust me I have tried everything to get them to eat minerals. Thanks for your help!
    :hair:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Do you feed grain...? Goats love grain.... mix in the loose salt and minerals... that has the copper in it .......don't put to much in at first... it is so ...they won't notice it ....after a while ...slightly increase the loose salt and minerals ..... eventually.... they may get a taste for it and may start eating it free choice.... good luck... :wink: :thumb:

3. firegurl126

firegurl126 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    I do not feed grain as they are weathers and grain is not good for them. That is why I mix the monerals with the carrots.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    He is 5 years old...? are you planning on butchering him.... he is older than I'd butcher.... :wink:

Maybe... make a hole in a marshmallow and put some loose salt and minerals in there.. open the mouth and let them get a taste of the mellow ...then they should eat it down wanting more.... :wink: :greengrin:

5. firegurl126

firegurl126 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    No he is a PET!!

And he is already getting minerals every other day mixed with the carrots. I am not looking for a way to give him minerals. I am looking for a way to get more copper into him.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The hair missing on his nose could be from him putting his nose through/under the fence and rubbing it off. Goats know the grass on the other side of that fence tastes much better than whats growing on their side.

Copper deficiency shows all over the body not just the nose. It also shows in more than just the hair. Giving copper when they don't need it could also do more harm than good.

As far as your goats not eating the minerals, they may not need it. Goats know when they are deficient and will eat them if they need them. If they are on pasture or hay only they may need the minerals. If they are on a balanced goat feed, well they probably don't as it contains them. My goats will gobble minerals one day and then go for weeks without touching them.

7. countrymom

countrymom New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    versailles, MO
    I agree, I'm thinking the hair loss isn't a copper deficiency. My does will rub hair off down the middle of their nose from butting at the the bucks on the other side of fence. Goats with copper deficiency will loose hair all over.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    The only method I know is... to use the mixed...Copper which is loose salts and minerals......that is because... you mentioned ...you don't want to bolus......
    In your statement here... you mention you tried everything to get them to eat their minerals so I assumed you where wanting to know how to get them to eat it as well....

Can you explain why... or where... you heard that from... that it isn't good to feed a wether grain ...especially when he is a PET...? Feeding him a little grain sometimes ...will not hurt him.... :scratch:

I to agree... and don't think it is copper deficiency.... but... they do need the loose salt and minerals..... or they can get deficient..not getting any of the minerals at all.....

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they will not loose hair all over -- they may loose hair at the tip of their tail creating what is called a "fish tail" effect. YOu may also see a black goat turn more reddish in color.

As to eating minerals -- leave it out free choice and they will eat them when they need them. Forcing them to eat something they dont need isnt a good idea.

Sometimes mine dont touch there minerals for weeks and then suddenly its all gone and they go through it really fast. IT really depends on what their nutritional needs are at that time.

As to feed grain to wethers there is a misconception that grain is the reason for UC (urinary stones) but this isnt always the case. Some are just genetically predispositioned to getting stones. But it is good to keep your calcium and phosphorous ration at a 2:1 ratio. You can also find grain that has Ammonium Chloride in it. THis is what you use to keep their urine acidic enough to dissolve any stones that may form.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    As far as getting them to eat minerals....I have to put out a little bit of fresh minerals every few days or they will not eat them, my guys don't like minerals that have set out very long.....I do copper bolus my guys every 6 months....don't know why, but 2 of my boys had the hair missing from their noses this winter....but it has grown back.

I have 4 wethers and I feed each one of my guys approx. 1/2 cup of grain a day mixed with BOSS....in the summer months I back off a bit.....I mainly grain them in the winter. I buy a grain with AC added and I also add AC to their minerals and I feed mixed grass hay.

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I know if a baby goat is running a slight fever-they will lose a some hair on their nose.

12. firegurl126

firegurl126 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Well most of their fencing is electric so he is not getting his nose caught. I have read on serveral websites that it is not a god idea to give grain or alfalfa to the weathers. but who knows. I guess I will just wait an see what happens. cause now I am confused on what to do. I will just give it time.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I would think if they are keeping their weight and your giving them good hay and browse, then they probably really don't need grain if over 1yr old, my vet told me to grain them at least until they were over a year.......last summer I only gave the older 2 guys a handful of BOSS every day more as a treat....with warmer months coming I am now backing off from grain for all 4 boys as they are all over 1yr old.......my reasoning for graining in the winter is we are soooo cold here and they don't get browse, just hay.

Just a thought about the hair on his nose......have you considered mites? How is his ears? This winter I really think that is what I was dealing with, they also loss a bit of hair at the base of their ears......my vet was out for something else and I showed him and he thought it could have been a fungus.......I treated for both.....he told me either way that once the warmer months came and the boys would be back outside in the warm sun that what ever the issue was I would probably see it clear up and it has. My boys never got nasty sores or acted like it really bothered them so I didn't get to worried, but I did treat.

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sorry you are dealing with this but let me contribute to your delima.
    What we have here is what I call Hayrackitus. 4X4" feeders that most of them poke their noses through.
    If you dont have fish tails you might not have a copper issue. But I would think by the time you do it would indeed be a serious deficiency. :?
    Meantime dont worry too much & try to get to the bottom of it.