Mystery Ear Tag I'm Trying to Identify

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by Bekkidotes, May 8, 2017.

1. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Hi everyone!

My boyfriend recently bought a couple of beautiful Angoras, Ollie and Sven. Sven has a tag on his ear I am trying to identify. Is it possible that this goat is in an Angora registry, and if so, how can I find his papers? The woman he bought them from was unsure if they had any registration history as she had solely been using their fiber for crafts and wasn't interested in showing.

It bothers me to have a potentially registered goat with no papers, so I'd love any help in getting to the bottom of this!

Thank you so much!
    Bekki

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Looks like a scrapies tag.

3. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Did some research on what the Iowa tags look like and you're right, thanks so much!! In Iowa any goat that's been living with sheep gets tagged so he must have been part of a herd with sheep at some point :)
    Thank you!!

4. mohoghead

mohoghead New Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Go on facebook to the Colored Angora Goat Breeders Assn and message Tracy Ross with the tag info, she should be able to tell you who the breeder was and if there is registration papers on her.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Yep, scrapies tag. ;)

6. mohoghead

mohoghead New Member

Mar 25, 2017
    I did some checking they are not registered with the cagba, but the register says they can be if you want, He's a beautiful animal, so to me it's worth the $12. to register him.

7. mohoghead

mohoghead New Member

Mar 25, 2017
    also he is the RBB color pool which give you some great reds and blacks.