Need help please!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sigalaluis11, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    Hello I am actually posting on behalf of my cousin it's been a while since Ive posted here but when I owned goats I would always ask questions on here and I would always get help and great advice. She has a male Billy goat that's about six months old she called me today and said that he wasn't eating and looked weak so I suggested penicillin but when we went over to look at the goat his back legs were strained and above it's testicles look really swollen and when He walks he basically drags his back legs or not move or bend them at all. He'll just lay down after a few steps. Does anyone have any advise towards what might be going on?

Attached Files:

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Is there white tail deer in the area? What is his temp?

capracreek likes this.

3. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    No deer anywhere around and not able to check his temp right now. When I gave him the shot of penicillin his skin did not stretch as much so I'm sure he's dehydrated ...I think it's due to the inability to walk.

capracreek likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Have to consider tetanus.

capracreek likes this.
  5. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    That's what I was thinking!

capracreek likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Could be anything, even injury from bucks fighting.
    They can be quite rough.

I would have a vet look at him.

A temp needs to be taken as well.

capracreek likes this.
  7. Madgoat

Madgoat Active Member

I honestly have no idea what could be wrong, but I pray he pulls through okay.

capracreek likes this.
  8. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    Update!

This morning he was walking around without any obvious pain and he doesn't seem to be tense in his back leg muscles. Gave him a dose of tetanus, hopefully that'll do it!

Madgoat and capracreek like this.
  9. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    Update:

It's 1:40am here in Fort Worth, my cousin just contacted via FaceTime and I could see that he was shaking....don't know if it's a side effect of the shot...both him and his brother were given the same dosage but only the sickly one is shaking...more like shivering. Eyes still look alert and he seems to have some bloating. Will check up again in the morning and treat the bloat.

capracreek likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Shaking may be a reaction to the shot.

11. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    Update:

Cousin took him to the Veterinarian and they said he has a urinary blockage. She's wondering if they should operate or is there any remedy she can try?

capracreek likes this.
  12. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Normally it is recommended that you not give vaccines to a sick or weakened animal - so it just may have been too much too soon. I would have followed through with the antibiotics since he has such a good response after one dose. Then waited a couple weeks to give tetanus when he was back to normal. If it was tetanus then it would be too late for the shot to work anyway as it usually takes a minimum of 10 days before they begin to get any immunity.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  13. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Capra, I think the tetanus toxoid is what takes time to work. Tetanus Antitoxin should start immediately. I don't know which the OP gave. You are right that too much anything at once is problematic in inexperienced hands. I'll bet your hands could have comforted the goat through this crisis.

Now I think the cousin should trust the vet to treat what the vet has been handed. If the vet says surgery, I'm not comfortable saying to the OP to say to the cousin, to say to the vet...

Poor thing. I sure hope he gets through this.

14. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    Thanks guys. Vet says both vaccines are good for now but they are currently doing the procedure to empty out the bladder and checking to see what's causing the blockage

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Sorry I did not see the post where you took him to the vet - That is always the best option. Bucks can get a urinary blockage so easily. I always feed a medicated feed for this reason. I just pray it does its job. So far we have not had a blockage. Hope he is better.

mariarose likes this.
  16. sigalaluis11

sigalaluis11 Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas.
    Update:

The Vet did the procedure on thunder put was not successful. He suggested that he should be put down, after speaking it over with my cousin we agreed that was the best for him to keep him from any more pain.

capracreek likes this.
  17. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I'm very sorry. Mercy is sometimes very sad.

capracreek likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I am so very sorry. :(

capracreek likes this.
  19. Shaylatheyoungest17

Shaylatheyoungest17 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Verdigre, Ne
    I'm very sorry about that.