Need tattoo kit recommendation

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Shellshocker66, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Wrapped around a hoof!

Mar 19, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I just obtained my ADGA membership and tattoo number. And while I won't have kids for a while, I want to start searching for a tattoo kit that will work on the small ears of Nigerians.

I need both numerals and alphabet (although I noticed that some kits you have to order the letters).

And very confused on what size will work?

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I got my kit from Jeffers website. Its just called a small tattoo kit. Comes with all the letters and numbers and a bottle of black ink. Most people seem to prefer green but I have used the black and it worked fine. Its $30 plus shipping, can't remember what that was. I believe Big R has a tattoo outfit for small animals but I think it was either the same price as Jeffers with the shipping or a little cheaper. But this was a few years ago so who knows what it costs at Big R now.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/small-a ... p/0030139/

3. seren

seren Senior Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Central California
    I bought my tatoo kit from Jeffers online. It worked great when we did our Nigerians and a Lamancha tail! It came with letters and numbers, we got the one with quick release. I would recommend getting the green paste at the same time. I was told our local ADGA show requires the green ink.

4. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Just a tip I thought I'd throw out there. I would recommend getting two sets of numbers for the numbers like 11 or 22.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Small tattoo kit from Jeffers...yep...that's what we use. :thumb: I'll second the extra letters and numbers. :hi5:

6. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Wrapped around a hoof!

Mar 19, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks all!

That is what I thought would work and well good thing the extra numbers and numerals were mentioned as I of course picked a double digit, double letter tattoo number.

7. Tina1314

Tina1314 New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    My friend has just purchased a tattoo kit in a online shop and she said it done good to her, maybe your situation is different from hers but I hope it would help you a bit, the site she bought the tattoo kit.

8. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    I recently had to tattoo my first kids and was a little confused on what I needed. After looking at different sites I finally found a kit that came with everything I needed plus It comes with 2 pairs of pliars 1 set of letters and 2 sets of numbers so that I could put my herd prefix in one without having to change it back and forth which made it easier. i love it :) http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1816

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013