New Goat Kid Poop Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Deborah Haney, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    HI! I have this precious new kid who has a bit of a poop problem. It's a normal color but the "berries" are clumped together. When we first got him there was also an orange mucous involved but that has subsided. We got him at 15 days old, now he's 1 month and 1 day. He's a Nigerian Dwarf wether.

He has been to the vet twice, first a week after we got him to get checked out so that he has a vet familiar with his situation in case there was ever an emergency (and partially to discuss his poop). At that point he got a dewormer (Ivomec) and we came back a week later to get his cdt vaccination. When we came back they said he had a fever (104.1 on a hot day) so they couldn't vaccinate and prescribed antibiotics (Trimeth-Sulfa?). We also did a fecal and she said she found a touch of coccidia, she said it would be unusual for a kid with so little to be symptomatic, but nothing else abnormal. We treated for coccidia none the less with Ponazuril and he also got Ketoprofen for any inflammation in his gut from coccidia or a secondary infection.

I should point out that this is not a goat vet, she's an exotics vet. She also doesn't think he's pooping enough but he is pooping so he's not constipated or anything. She recommended giving him plain Greek yogurt and offering baking soda. He wouldn't try either so I gave him a couple ounces of water mixed with some baking soda and he drank it down immediately. We haven't done anything with the baking soda since. I've mixed a couple tablespoons plain Greek yogurt with his milk everyday, which he loves, but it hasn't seemed to change much.

Other than his poop problem he has been healthy: active, sleeping well, eating well, I've taken his temperature twice since and it's been normal (102.3 & 103.0). I've found some lice and the Python dust is on the way. His body condition is good and he's gaining weight at a healthy rate.

He gets a mixture of whole milk, half and half, and evaporated milk, roughly 18 oz/day. I don't plan to change this because it seems to be working and I don't want to stress his gut by switching to a formula. He'll also nibble on dead grass, dirt, and rocks outside but hasn't tried the roughage available. He also doesn't drink water on his own yet. He sleeps inside and follows me around the house and yard all day because he's an only goat right now (his half sister will be weaned in few weeks and then they'll be outside together).

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to post photos.

I'm at my wits end with this little guy and honestly I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't even be concerned with his poop because everything else is fine and all that we've tried hasn't really done much. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Put a pinch of baking soda in his first bottle of the day. Keep using the yogurt. Just keep an eye on him.

groovyoldlady likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good advice.

4. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    ksalvagno, I've been following your advice. So far I've seen a little more mucus than before and it seems like he's pooping a little less, but that may just be coincidence.
    Other theories I'm considering include:
    -Subtle changes in diet (change in milk brand when we got him, trying a bunch of stuff too soon)
    -He may have had some parasites that damaged the lining of his intestines (causing the orange tint to the mucus) and now his intestines are still a little irritated but healing?
    -Maybe he's just a super sensitive kid and this issue will go away once he's weaned and he can be on a steady, solid diet?
    I'm really just trying to hang in there until he's weaned and I might be a little less worried about him (probably not).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Vet wants us to move to milk replacer because she thinks the whole cow milk mix may be too rich for him. I've heard good and bad things about milk replacer (and about cow milk mix) but I can't think of anything else to try.

6. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    I would try goat milk.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Just go to straight whole cow milk. Or try it first before going to replacer.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree, I wouldn't go to replacer.

9. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Okay new thing: yesterday he was vaccinated for cdt and the vet gave him three more shots to try and boost his system because his mucous membranes were a little pale. He got iron, vitamin B, and BoSe. It must've done something because in the morning, before we had even begun switching him to anything, I found that he had pooped SO MUCH. in a range of colors and consistencies. It also smelled a lot worse than goat poop should. It's been off and on all day. I have no idea what this means or what to do next.

10. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Give him some probiotics. Something probably didn't agree with him.

catharina likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    If the poo stinks, it might be cocci ect.

Can you get a fecal for worms and cocci?

12. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I can do another but we did one a week ago and nothing came up but we treated for coccidia anyway. And he was dewormed 2 weeks ago. Do you think we should do it again?

13. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    How's he acting now?

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    What was used for cocci and how much?

Worming you should do it again at 10 days after the first time given to get the hatching eggs, was that done?

15. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    As far as behavior, he's great. He hasn't pooped all day, though and I think he's grinding his teeth more. We bought Probios and gave him his first dose.

For the cocci he got Ponazuril at 150 mg/ml, 2.8 ml per day for 3 days. We only did the one dose of Ivomec on July 1st but he got the Ponazuril 8 days later (and treated until 11 days after the Ivomec). I'm not familiar with Ponazuril but if it's also a dewormer then he got dewormed twice at the appropriate times.
    I really like the vet and the practice he goes to now but it's pretty clear that they don't see goats often and she refers back to text books from vet school. I think they'll be fine for vaccinations and routine testing but in the morning I'm going to call a livestock practice to make an appointment. They're a little ways away but maybe they have more goat experience and can offer more insight (and hopefully they're cheaper too!).

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Sounds like you covered about everything, but timing for wormer was a but off. It should be every 10 days.

Never used Ponazuril for cocci so not sure on it.

If you haven't seen him poo, give him a enema.

17. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Watery bubbly scours this morning. We went to a livestock vet and she said she suspects cryptosporidiosis and/or E. Coli. He got a different antibiotic than he had before for the possible E. Coli and there is no treatment for crypto.

Apparently it's a lot like coccidiosis as far as symptoms and type of infection (protozoa) except coccidiostats are ineffective and it is zoonotic. Basically I just have to keep him hydrated and full of electrolytes and he'll work through it and build up immunity. They said that if it was going to kill him (if he had an acute case where the diarrhea was non-stop and we couldn't get electrolytes and water in him), he would've died already, but he has a chronic case, so not much can be done but wait and support him.

I'm probably going to continue with Probios and a water/Pedialyte mix for supportive care. Thanks for your help, everyone, I'll let you know if anything changes.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Crypto, I have read is suppose to be contagious to humans. Be careful.

http://kinne.net/crypto.htm

Sorry the goat has Crypto. :(
    Prayers sent.