New Goat Owner in need of a phone call!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AshPage, Jun 25, 2017.

1. AshPage

AshPage New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    HELP!!! LOL! My husband surprised me with a 10week old mini-LaMancha yesterday morning! I had been asking for a goat, but I was NOT prepared! We are going to build it a proper shelter this week, but for now I have cleaned out our wooden shed (sorta?!) and have put pine flakes down for it to sleep on (how much do I put down?!), with a hay bag to feed from, and I also bought Goat Minerals and Goat feed, but I am soooo confused and overwhelmed with what to do to make sure she's properly fed and situated! =( I have soooo many specific questions!! Is it possible for someone to call me and help me ease all this anxiety?! LOL!

Send me a direct message if you are able to call me and I will provide my number, or visa versa! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Ashley Shaw

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

First she needs a buddy ASAP.

Idahogoats likes this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If the hay bag is a net, get rid of it, she can strangle. Do you have any idea what she has been fed? Any idea if she has been wormed, treated for cocci or had any CDT vaccinations? Provide a bucket of fresh water at all times, get a good loose mineral for goats - Tractor supply has this and offer free choice always. I would take a fecal (poop) to your vet and see if she needs any kind of worm or parasite treatment.
    Feed a little grain sparingly, offer free choice hay and browse.

And yes, she needs a buddy ASAP! If you need further help, you can send me a pm with your phone number.

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    She has it pretty much under control.
    Manna pro minerals free choice
    Dumor goat pellets 1/2 cup twice a day
    Grass hay free choice
    Alfalfa pellets starting at 1/2 cup and slowly working up to 1 lb/ day

5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Fresh water, small pasture area, and shelter.
    Getting another doeling ASAP
    We should share worming and cocci information
    Symptoms of Polio etc
    Basic medical kits ect

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Jill, and my first thought was a buddy, glad to hear she will have one.

Welcome to the forum Ashley!

7. AshPage

AshPage New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    THANK YOU JILL!!!!! You were GOD SENT!!! Yes, after a bit of a new goat owner anxiety attack lol, I do believe I'm going to be okay. It is KILLING me to hear her SCREAMING every time we go inside, but thankfully it only lasts a couple of minutes and then she calms down somewhere. =( =( =( I'm going to find another mini-lamancha as soon as I can get a proper shelter built. Thank you all for your responses!!! =) =) =) I'm sure I'll have more questions between now and then too! Will update everyone again as soon as possible!!! Thank you again!!!!

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Getting a companion should fix the screaming pretty quickly.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I wouldn't wait till you have proper shelter. She is locked up in a shed by herself. That isn't good.

catharina likes this.
  10. spidy1

spidy1 Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    AZ
    I have a Lamancha Boer cross doeling available, she wont be mini but she is sweet, where are you located?

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Very good advice by all.

12. AshPage

AshPage New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    While I'm hanging out in the garage keeping Miss Bailey company - to which she is PERFECTLY content with -- I figured I'd send a not-so-quick reply to some of you guys' concerns and/or tips, (which I GREATLY appreciate btw!!!)

"First she needs a buddy ASAP." - I'm working on that.

When my husband decided to completely surprise me, the person he got it from for some reason did not insist on and/or did not tell him that they cannot be alone. (he got it from a chicken swap in the Tractor Supply parking lot... yes, I know, I know. If I had been the one to get it, it would NOT have come from there, but... c'est la vie what's done is done) I have to admit, I was not even aware that I would need two either, but again, had I been the one who actually sought out a goat, I most likely would have come to proper conclusion that we needed two of them.

PLUS, the big super dummy that he is, didn't even THINK about the fact that we were leaving the state for the week of July 4th to visit my family in Alabama!! THANK GOODNESS, I have found someone who will board her for the week with her goats! WHEW!! When we get back, we hope to get her a buddy ASAP. (spidy1 - we live in Suffolk, VA... not sure how much those shipping and handling fees would be LOL but THANK YOU!!)

"If the hay bag is a net, get rid of it, she can strangle."
    -- From the moment he brought her home, I did as much non-stop research on what to do, even before I found this forum, and had luckily read how dangerous the nets were before I purchased the bag feeder; I freely admit that I don't seem to have much common sense at all when it comes to taking care of a goat, but if anything, the net bag did seem quite dangerous to me lol. I have the bag very close to the floor of the shed as to limit the hay from going in her ears. =)

"Do you have any idea what she has been fed? Any idea if she has been wormed, treated for cocci or had any CDT vaccinations?"
    -- HA! Funny, not funny question, to which the answer is, sadly no. See above about my husband getting her from the chicken swap and getting NO information from the guy. <face palm>

"I would take a fecal (poop) to your vet and see if she needs any kind of worm or parasite treatment."
    -- A vet appointment is one of the priorities upon on return from July 4th trip. =)

"Feed a little grain sparingly, offer free choice hay and browse."
    -- She is currently on Alfalfa hay free choice in the hay bag, and about a 1/2 cup of grain pellets morning and night.

"Provide a bucket of fresh water at all times, get a good loose mineral for goats - Tractor supply has this and offer free choice always. "
    -- She has a bucket of fresh water in her shed that I change out twice a day, and there are also a couple of bowls around the yard for my dog, as well as the sprinkler system that keep the yard hydrated morning and afternoon; I have learned from my research that goats hate to be wet, but she sure didn't seem to mind it too much when they happened to pop up while she was gobbling up some fallen bird seed. lol She did eventually seek shelter in her shed though. =)

-- I also put 1/2 cup of the loose mineral in the other half of her feed tray, but it's been two days now and I don't think she has even touched it. Should I try the salt lick? I tried to find one at Tractor Supply earlier today but wasn't sure exactly what to get her and those people know nothing about goats apparently. smdh!

And, speaking of the dog... while he is very gentle with her, they are NEVER left alone in the yard together w/o supervision, for obvious reasons. He is a 5yr old pure bred Jack Russell named Steve (literally related to Wishbone!!) and they bonded almost immediately! As I type this, they are both asleep just inches away from each other below the stool I am sitting on lol. Bailey does like to head butt Steve (in slow motion, oddly enough) on occasion, especially when he won't quit sniffing her butt (will he ever stop?! lol) but he quickly darts out of the way, as Jacks do. The ONLY time I have seen him get irritated with her thus far is when he rolled his ball to her and she didn't return it back to him as he was expecting. lol He growled and barked thinking she was stealing it from him, which I gently scolded him for.

I'm actually more worried about HIS safety than hers simply b/c of her horns, which is why the lady who is boarding her is going to see if the horns are still short enough to be removed - they are currently only about an inch long (again, had I picked one out, it obviously would not have had horns.)

While the yard is big enough and they do seem to be respecting each other's spaces quite well, I plan to building a pen to keep the goats in once we return; that way I can leave the dog out unattended again and he can resume use of his doggy door.

"Getting a companion should fix the screaming pretty quickly."
    -- Gosh I hope so!! My neighbors are going to be patient only but so much longer! Would having two goats and a strict schedule FOR SURE make for quiet pets?! I'd like another mini-breed simply because they are obviously smaller and are more likely to be classified as a "pet". Do I need to get another mini-lamancha or will another breed be better/worse? Several people have suggested that I get a wether.

"I wouldn't wait till you have proper shelter. She is locked up in a shed by herself. That isn't good."
    -- I can assure you that she is not locked up in the shed! =O She has free roam on our 1/4-1/2 acre wide open yard that is secured by vinyl fencing, and we have the shed doors secured open. However, it was suggested to me that I close her up in the shed at a specific time each night and let her out a specific time each morning so that she would have more of a routine. Will she freak out and go crazy inside the shed if I close the doors on her overnight?! I was going to try to see if that routine makes any difference in her anxiety level when we exit the yard, but again, she's going to be boarded for a week starting Thursday evening, so I'm not even sure if there is a point to trying that. (I could kill my husband.)

Here is my ACTUAL dilemma.... we live in a neighborhood. (yes, I know, "city folk just shouldn't have goats" lol) It's not an urban neighborhood though - think "suburbia surrounded by the country"; we just happen to live in a developed neighborhood - about 160 houses - which I have a love/hate relationship with, especially now. Yep, we even have an HOA (embarrassingly enough, I was even elected the the board just last week LMAO!!) but our bylaws do not say anything about keeping specific pets, except, super-oddly enough, we aren't allowed to specifically have "vietnamese pot-bellied pigs" WTF?!; the bylaws simply say "no livestock or farm housing" - but, mini-goats aren't technically livestock, they're technically pets, riiight??, especially if I don't plan on breeding and/or milking them, and a shed with fencing isn't exactly "farm housing", riiight?? lol - it's not a BARN, so I think there IS a way for me to get around those regulations, I just have to be super-duper clever and careful about how I build the shelter and pen and then keep it super tidy and odorless; call me crazy, but I'm actually looking forward to having a more strict schedule and responsibility lol. I'm currently doing some research on getting around the HOA laws, but I welcome any and all shelter and pen suggestions you guys have on this matter!! (especially the quick and eas-ier type)

I am hoping we can have the shelter done within a week, at most two, after we return from our trip. I know neither I, nor the goat, can take the screaming day after day, nor can I expect my neighbors to take it for very much longer at all either - even if it is literally is only for a couple of minutes each time we exit the yard. On one hand, the yard IS plenty big enough for two goats with or without a pen, but on the other hand, the current SHED, however, really ISN'T properly big enough for two goats - it's doable, but they'd be cramped for sure. I know it's going to be a big investment of both time and money, but I get the feeling that - even though I personally don't think it's a smart idea to get another one before I at least finish the shelter... unless I get another goat as soon as I get back from my trip, my only other option is to give her up, which I really don't want to do at this point, but it really is about what's best for Bailey.

Am I thinking all of this through properly at all?! =/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  13. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Go ahead and treat her for cocci. Baycox is best, you have to order it from horseprerace.com.

Research CDT and decide if you want to give it or not. Most breeders do, but I don't.

Make sure she doesn't get any more birdseed. Can cause bloat.

Add some kelp meal to the minerals. It's good for them and they like the taste. She might just not need any though.

Don't give her a block. Ok, you can get a cobalt block, but not the generic treat lick from TSC.

You can band her horns and then disbudding once they fall off if they're too big to disbudding now.

Not for sure quiet, but most likely.

I would definitely go for a wether. More wethers need good homes, and they make awesome pets. They basically stay babies forever.

Any mini breed should be fine. So long as the new one is the same size as Bailey.

I don't like locking my goats up at night. They like to eat and move around through the night.

You could go with a couple dogloos for shelter. Surely that wouldn't be considered farm housing, lol.

ConnieW likes this.
  14. AshPage

AshPage New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    So, I've basically been either in the garage or out in the yard playing with her and the dog for the past several hours and I just led her out to the shed and closed her up to see what would happen... nothing, not even a single peep! Walked away and went back into the garage... no sound.... walked back outside and still ... ABSOLUTELY NO sound! What?! Did she just instantly lay down and go to sleep?! Wish so badly I knew what she was doing! Should I expect at any time for her to possibly freak out and start jumping around in there or something??

15. mariarose

mariarose Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Checking her fecal matter before she sheds eggs at your friend's farm might be considered polite. Can you TRULY not take a fecal in to your vet before you leave? Vet does not have to see the animal to look at the poop...

16. AshPage

AshPage New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Btw, the shed is ventilated. Love the dogloo idea actually! Ha! It would also give them something to jump around on and still not get over the fence. Very easy setup too! Not the easiest to clean out, but still... worth the easy setup!

17. AshPage

AshPage New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    I certainly agree with you! She asked and I told her that I had no idea if she'd been vaccinated and still said she'd take her for the week =/ said she'd been raisong goats for more than 10yrs, s I assume Bailey will be somehwhat quarantined at the very least. Going to try really hard to at least drop off the poo at a vet on Wednesday, which is the earliest I could possibly go, so fingers crossed.

18. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I never hear anyone mention this but if you collect poop to take to your vet to test you should put it in a ziplock bag and put in the refrigerator and then put in a cooler on ice for transport
    If not the eggs will hatch into larvae and the larvae don't float and are not
    counted
    And yes at any given time I have to move bags of
    goat poop in my fridge to get a drink

19. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Think about if you want the horns on your goats
    And if you are traveling to Alabama from Suffolk VA you are coming right by me in NC and I can send you a Nigerian Dwarf home with you

20. AshPage

AshPage New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Oh that would be so awesome!!! But unfortunately, with two adults and one teen, there will be NO room in that car for a goat LOL! There is a very good chance that I will be contacting you soon after we get back tho!!!