New Hay Feeder!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    So Excited about the new hay feeder hubby made for me today! I hope we can install it in the doe pasture tomorrow! Its made to minimize hay waste, and will hopefully keep the hay dry in wet weather.

2. Neat!! Share photos when you get a chance.

3. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Awesome ;) Hope to see pics soon! :~) :thumb:

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    That's awesome...grt pics! I need hubby to build another one for me...wonder how I can do that!

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Didn't get it installed today, but hopefully tomorrow! I'll get pics then! It is made completely out of stuff we had laying around!

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I love recycling and saving money...can't wait to see pictures!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Can't wait to see the pics.... :thumb:

8. Right on!! Please post pics!!

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    We got it installed today!!! But it was getting dark, so I didn't get a pic. I need to paint it, and we are putting a heavy duty tarp over the top to keep the hay as dry as possible and to keep it from being snowed in etc . . . The tarp will be weighted with a 2x4 to keep it hanging.

I put a bit of hay in it and they figured out how to use it real quick lol! I'll try to post a pic tomorrow! I am hoping it is big enough that when we are on vacation that the hay will last 4-7 days, so our animal sitters won't have to deal to much with so many chores. (We have horses, goats, chickens, dog and cats) It can be a handful!!!

10. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Her she is! I loaded it up today to see how much it can hold and I think its about the same as the horse feeder which is 100 gallons! :shades:

Like I said I still need to paint it, and put the tarp on in, so its not done yet, but this give you the idea.

Attached Files:

11. Looks great!

12. sblueram6

sblueram6 New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    nice babys

13. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Please! Tell me how long it lasts (hay wise)! I have a similar design, but it doesn't hold that much (weight). Are you afraid of the hay getting wet?

14. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awesome job! Looks great and the fact that it's tall enough to keep goats from jumping in it is a plus! :thumbup:

15. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Great job! :)

16. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks guys! I am happy with it so far. Bella, the nubian is tall enough that she can snag a few pieces of hay from the top lol! But she can't jump up, so that is good!

Yes, we tend to be wet in the fall and spring, I also don't want the snow to get in it and clog it up! So we are going to put a tarp over the top.

I stuffed it pretty full, and am really wanting to know how long it lasts with the 2 goats as well! I will post how long it lasts!

17. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    It looks awesome! :applaud: Pretty goaties you have :love:

18. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks! My ND wether is NOTHING of the quality that you have, but he sure is a cutie!!! LOL! We love his fuzziness! He is also an easy keeper, such a chunk! LOL!

And my Nubian doe is just a sweetie pie! She is the sweetest thing on the planet! I can't wait to breed her next month! I want BABIES! LOL!!!

So far they have been munching on the hay for 2 days and have only made a dent! I think it will last a week easy! :shades: