Newbie Momma in need of guidance...

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by KidaleeIvy2, Mar 20, 2017.

1. KidaleeIvy2

KidaleeIvy2 New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to raising goats and I'm looking for a little guidance. I brought home my new baby on Friday (3/17/17), his name is Jimmie.

He is about 3-4 weeks old. He refuses to drink from a bottle and prefers to drink from a bowl. I've been giving him replacer formula, but he will only drink a little over 8 ounces. He is also eating some sweet grain, and drinking water. He's been grinding his teeth since I've brought him home, which I thought was cud chewing, but after some research I'm concerned. Now, today he has a little bit of diarrhea. He screams when he can't see me, and is only at ease when I hold him... He has an appointment at the vet on Thursday morning...any advice? Should I be worried? I am so scared he is sick and won't recover :tears:

Leren

2. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    Sound like he was raised with cats or dogs because he eats/drinks like them. But I wouldn't worry about HOW he eats, as long as he eats.
    The grain could be what is causing the diarrhea, so I would back off on that and stick with the milk (I give mine regular store-bought whole milk) and plenty of grass and hay. The grass and hay will help teach his rumen how to work like a goat... since it apparently thinks he's a cat or dog.
    Another possibility for the diarrhea could be intestinal parasites which is quite common in goats and it can be easily treated with de-worming meds.
    Find out how much he weighs (here are instructions how to https://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm) and then look at this feeding chart to determine if he is eating enough or not.
    I'm sure he will do just fine once he starts to eating like a goat. By the way, I saw this goat who was clucking like a chicken because he grew up with chickens and he thought he was a chicken.

And about crying after you, yes, goats are very social and don't like to be alone so you can either let him gradually get used to being alone or you can get him a little friend.
    He sounds like such a cutie-pie! Please post pictures. I'd love to see this little guy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

3. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I wouldn't let him drink from a pan at all either get him on a lamb bar or bottle feed him he will be willing to drink when he's Hungary

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Pan feeding is fine.

Has he been treated for cocci?

5. KidaleeIvy2

KidaleeIvy2 New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi everyone!

Thank you for the insight!

Jimmie doesn't have diarrhea today, but refuses to drink any milk. He has been grazing in the yard as the snow melts though, so at least he is eating something. He keeps shaking his head- I think he has an ear infection, which might explain why he isn't too active and why he grinds his teeth..?

I had to bring him inside over night because my pot belly pig is too rough with him. Until he gets bigger, he will stay warm inside with me and the dogs.

Attached Files:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    He may have cocci and/or worms. Scours do not have to be present.
    How are his inner lower eyelids, pale pink, white or dark pink?

What is his temp? 101.5 to 103.5 is normal range. Being it is cold there, it should be on the lower end of normal, but not sub temp.

Being hunched like that is not good. Pain, too cold or not feeling well.

Does he have a goat friend at all. If not, he needs a goat buddy. They can cuddle. This is crucial for him to want to eat ect.

Putting a sweater on him or better yet, a heat lamp will help until he gets stronger. During the day or at night, unless he is alone then putting him in the house is best.

What kind of milk? Replacer or cows whole milk?

Pan feeding I feel isn't good, but some do feel it is OK. :(

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    How are things?