No CAE, No Mastitis, but Lumpy Udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Rechellef, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Rechellef

Rechellef New Member

May 17, 2011
    Northeast Tennessee
    My Saanen doe Sugar is my star milker. She has great handles, wonderful orafice, and milks down easily. However, during my second milking today I noticed that the front portion of both udders were lumpy. She is still nursing her son, but he is drinking less as I get ready to wean him. The lumps were the same size and in the same location. Generally her udder is butter soft when she milks down except when I KNOW she's holding back for her son. Is there any other reason she would have a lumpy udder? :ponder:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you arent talking about the mammary tissue right?

3. Rechellef

Rechellef New Member

May 17, 2011
    Northeast Tennessee
    It is a "U" shaped pocket in the front portion of her udder - It might be mammary related, but I don't know the anatomy well enough. The rest of her udder is normal.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some goats have a pocket for a forudder - thats probably what you are feeling. Its part of the mammary glands

5. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    That does sound normal. I noticed it pronounced in one of my FF's this year and freaked out. Then I checked my other does and realized they all had it to some degree.

6. Rechellef

Rechellef New Member

May 17, 2011
    Northeast Tennessee
    Mkes sense - they are in evenly sized and shaped. None of my other does have it to this degree, but now that I feel them, I can feel it a little on them too.

7. katie

katie Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    my doe has a lumpy udder too but in the back. :dazed: