Our Nubian Doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Goat_Scout, May 21, 2017.

1. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Harriet is an 18 month old purebred Nubian doe.

Her background: We got her as an 8 month old last July. She was the only goat that I (kind of) regret buying. We paid a pretty penny for her.
    When we picked her up she was completely blind in one eye, which doesn't bother me at all but the other thing was that she, at 8 months old, barely weighed 40 pounds. :| I was told that at 8 months old, a Nubian doe should be at LEAST 70 but ideally 80-90 pounds.

So we started feeding her separately everyday but, sadly I wasn't as consistent as I would like to have been. For the past few months we've been feeding her a couple cups of grain mix twice a day though.

Late last July soon after getting her we brought her to the vet to have them take a look at her eye. They said there wasn't really anything we could do about it, so we just left it at that. I don't mind having a partially blind goat though, in fact I used to want one. :)

Anyway, the point of this thread was so I could get opinions on her condition. We didn't breed her last year due to her being so underweight, but I definitely want to breed her this year.
    How does she look? She still needs to grow into her hips some, but I think she's coming along nicely. I would weigh her but our scale is broken.

The first four pictures are from 2 days/1 week ago, and the last three were taken the day we bought her and a couple weeks after.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

kathy_ likes this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Add calf manna, shredded beet pulp and a little more grain. Alfalfa or alfalfa pellets would also help. A liquid called DYNE helps increase the calories too. I think she looks way better than at first, but not quite ready to breed. Plenty of Good hay and fresh water, too. (Which you already know). You are doing a nice job with her.

If you have time, a quick trim of her hooves and she will stand better. Sometimes long feet throw off the legs and body. Have you had a fecal done? She may just need worming to help get her on the way to full weight.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

How old is the black goat in the picture? She does have a long way to go for breeding. She looks pretty stunted but may grow more.

4. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    The black goat in the pictures is Melody, our Nubian doeling. She is 11 months old. In the pictures it looks like she's as big or bigger than Harriet, but she is actually a good bit shorter. They are and always have been best friends. :)

Harriet is pretty stunted. Part of me wants to sell her (I want to breed towards strong, hardy goats), but she is so sweet and I would feel really bad. I will probably sell her when she kids though (along with one of her babies I mean).
    A few weeks before we bought her the previous owner had sold her mother and twin brother. Then they had borrowed some horses and a fat Nigerian Dwarf goat to keep her company but Harriet did not like them and stayed far away. So the previous owner put her in with a couple of rams for company. She was with them when we came to pick her up, but still obviously very lonely and not doing well.

5. KansasRev

KansasRev New Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Salina, Kansas
    At the end of the day I just think it's awesome that you care. Too many folks out there that don't. Hats off to you!

Goat_Scout likes this.
  6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sorry, but I would not breed her. She is very small, her rump is extremely steep, she looks to be narrow as well. She lacks condition - Has she been tested for Johnes? At this age I would not have great hopes in using her as a breeder. You don't want to her to have problems, nor do you want to pass on her problems to her kids. Just my opinion, but I would cull her if you don't want to keep her as a pet. Look up fiasco farm's website - you can use a measuring tape to get a fairly good idea as to her weight.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Goat_Scout likes this.
  7. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I agree with goatblessings she looks tiny! She's about the same size as my 8 month old Nubians except skinnier!

8. lilaalil

lilaalil Member

Sep 5, 2014
    She does look stunted. I had a goat stay with me once that had had a severe case of cocci as a kid. She grew, but was always stunted and thin-looking, like this. My understanding is that cocci permanently damages the lining of the gut and interferes with nutrient absorption. If that is the case, might be hard for her to support a pregnancy. She may not be genetically "un-hardy" just may not have gotten the treatment she needed when she needed it. Though of course her genetics don't matter much if you can't breed her.

She's very pretty, though!

9. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Thank you all for your replies!

Last summer she was tested negative for Johnes, CAE and CL, and is G6S normal (if that's how you say it).

We simply cannot keep one of our goats as pet. I mean, all of our goats are pets to an extent, but we will be breeding them and they will have kids and produce milk for us.
    I really don't want to sell Harriet, but it's looking like I may have to. She's been through a lot, and as I said, I would feel bad for selling her. She is a super sweet goat.

The vet we took her to last year and some other goat people said that she would not be able to carry kids so we should wait 'til next year (which is this year). Also the guy we bought Harriet from said that a month or two after getting her, it would be fine to breed her, although that obviously wasn't true.

I am not trying to say that I will breed her no matter what, I want the best for her and if she probably won't be able to handle being pregnant and raising kids, then I will just have to sell her.
    But, I can't make sure that whoever buys her doesn't breed her.

First picture is of Harriet's rear end taken a couple days ago; middle picture is one of the pictures the seller texted me of her with her momma and brother back in late June; and the last is of Harriet right next to Midge, our then 1 year old Mini-Mancha. It was taken in April of this year I think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I don't know why some of the pictures came out sideways.

11. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I say she can handle kidding. I mean all you can do is breed her and try it if she does fine then i say she should be good. Like you said she might end up bred anyways depending on who you sell her to!

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Did you really look at her? She is in no shape or size to be bred now. To sell her as a breeder is cheating the person you are selling her to.

13. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Yes I did look. Yes she is small but looks to be in healthy weight. She can sell as a pet but that doesn't mean that the people who buy her won't breed her! Their first time normally they produce one and she can handle it if bred to a smaller buck.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

She definitely needs more weight on her. I wouldn't consider her to be close to good weight.

lottsagoats1 likes this.
  15. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I agree put more weight on her and then reevaluate

16. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    If I did decide to breed her I'd breed her to our 3/4 Nigerian Dwarf buck. Then the kids would be at least a little smaller than if we bred her to a Nubian.

I will maybe up her feed intake. My mom doesn't like me feeding goats who are giving us nothing, but she likes Harriet, as we all do. :)

And if I do sell her, I would not sell her as a breeder but as a pet.

17. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    That should be fine!

18. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If you can't get her in better shape, please don't breed her. She cannot support herself right now, you can't expect her to support kids. Plus, her kids will only be crosses for pets you probably won't get much out of them anyway. I would sell her to a pet home.

19. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    I'm glad you're doing your best to take care of her, she looks so sweet!!!!

She has a very long way to go before breeding can even be considered, just seeing how skinny she is I don't think you will get a kidding out of her this year. And with her conformation, she more them likely won't produce anything worthwhile.

I would sell her to a pet home only and make it very clear that she has never been in the best of health(weight wise at least), her growth is stunted and she is not to be bred. You can always be picky on who you sell her to.

20. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I definitely will not breed her if I can't get her into better condition.
    She also has the worst top line that I have ever seen, LOL.