Penicillin B/P (Dura Pen) For Sick Kids!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by xXxSharonxXx, Feb 17, 2017.

1. xXxSharonxXx

xXxSharonxXx Sharoneh

Feb 4, 2017
    South of Houston
    Hello ya'll! I feel like all I do is ask questions here, I am so sorry! I am a little paranoid I guess, after losing goats to diseases! So...

I have these two boer buck kids. They are 3 months old, named Titan and Denver. Denver is the more active, and healthy one. When I bought them I had no idea that they had a respiratory infection till I took them to the vet. The vet prescribed Dura Vet, and gave me 20 syringes of it (2 cc's each) to give each of them daily for 10 days. Denver recovered very fast and was jumping and playing around like a normal goat kid. Titan on the other hand took the whole 10 days to stop having congestion, and even after the 10 days was over, he still was never back to a normal baby goat self. He was still slow and lethargic, though he would waddle fast after me for food.

After about 2 weeks, his congestion came back and he sounds congested when he breathes and cries. I ordered more Dura Pen online, and it should get here by next week. In the mean time I have Bio Mycin but I see it's not recommended for Goat kids under the age of 6 months (preferably 12 months). I also now have an adult doe and little Denver starting to get a TINY bit congested (not even close to how much Titan is) after a drastic weather change we had yesterday. So, I guess the three questions are:

What do I do till the Penicillin gets here?

Would it be harmful to give Titan (and possibly Denver) the Bio Mycin even though they're only 3 months old?

Would it be harmful or ineffective to start Titan on the penicillin again being that he has already had it before? And (sorry fourth question) should I give him a larger dose being that it did not completely work last time?

Sorry for all the questions! I really don't want to lose anymore goats :(

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Tylan 200 is the better OTC for respiratory. But I'm not sure if there is a problem with giving it to a young one. Sounds like he needs a full 14 day course of the penicillin.

3. xXxSharonxXx

xXxSharonxXx Sharoneh

Feb 4, 2017
    South of Houston
    I heard that Tylan 200 is very painful, as well as LA200 (which I have). Any ideas on what I should do till the Penicillin gets here? Will 14 days of the penicillin for sure take care of it?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Can't say for sure. I'm a Draxxin fan for the tough cases but that is vet Rx.

5. xXxSharonxXx

xXxSharonxXx Sharoneh

Feb 4, 2017
    South of Houston
    So I have been using a natural remedy for Titan and it is thankfully working and he is starting to get his energy back. The thing that worries me is he eats so much that his tummy hangs down really low.

Denver caught a cold (or some sort of respiratory infection) right after the weather changed here again. I started him on penicillin and within 2 days his congestion was almost gone! I am gonna keep him on it for 14 days just to make sure it is gone. Next thing on my list is vaccinating everyone for pneumonia!