Piglets - AGH x KuneKune question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Realtree2429, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    A few months back, I asked about our KuneKune boar and if he was old enough to actually breed. Thank you to everyone that answered and for those of you that are wondering, he was very capable of breeding at his young age! Only 4 months old.....we were told he wouldn't be fertile until 12 months......

It appears that both of our AGH gilts are pregnant and the first one looks to be due pretty soon!!! She has the "I'm so over this, I'm just going to lay in the hay and eat" Look. And I don't like to call to comment on weight with anyone....but boy is that girl HUGE!!!!! ;)

This will be our first time with piglets and here's my questions:

1. About castration - We were just planning on cutting the boars ourselves, but then I got reading about KuneKune's have something different about them and that the cut/pull/cut method may not work.....they are more prone to hernias? I had never read that before and I'm hoping that someone here can chime in and help. I'm hoping that since they will be 50% KuneKune and 50% AGH, then it will be different and easier (what is ever easy?).

2. Cutting the needle teeth. Do people still do that? Again, the more I read, the more I am hearing that majority of people do not cut the needle teeth in piglets now.

Our 2 gilts are outside and while their area isn't a huge area...they do have a pretty large pen outside with lots of space. I believe it's about 6 cattle corral panels long and wide with an additional covered "house". So they are not overly crowded.

With our goats, I had spent months researching kidding, care, etc. So I'm starting to feel like such a slacker on getting ready for piglets ;(

2. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I know nothing about pigs but I'm excited to see your piglets when they are born!!!!

3. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    Thanks! Piglets are the cutest things ever! I'm really excited about these ones.... I'm really hoping that the short snout and wattles come through. Our Boar has both ;)

4. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Could you post pictures of the lucky soon to be parents?

catharina likes this.
  5. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    Here's Mamma!

[​IMG]

Here's Daddy! Upside down, in all is glory......darn it!

[​IMG]

6. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    Oh, they posted correctly! It showed that they would be upside down. Yay!

catharina likes this.
  7. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Wow they're adorable! I've never seen a pig have wattles but they are so cute on him!!!

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
  9. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    Thank you! That was very helpful :)

The thing with these pigs is that there isn't too many detailed answers to farrowing. Most are commercial hogs or feeders.....

I did talk to the breeder we got Big Jake from and she said she doesn't clip needle teeth and castrating is preference. Being done around 2-4 weeks.

But if we are raising the boys for the freezer, many leave intact for growth factor.....

I love these pigs, so very docile and friendly. I was in their pen today and Buttercup fell to her side for belly scratches (picture giant pregnant pig) and fell asleep while I scratched her ears and chin.

Big Kate is getting HUGE. No signs of a milk bar yet. ...

[​IMG]

Here's Buttercup going to sleep....

[​IMG]

10. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    So, Big Kate is still pregnant....but I have no idea how she is keeping her babies in!!!! Her hind end is so very swollen, and her belly is dragging the ground.

I think it has to be "soon" though....she has been moving a bit slower today and it's the coolest day that we have had in over a week (just made it through a bad heat spell).

Big Kate2.jpg

I would be miserable if I were her, but she's still the sweet pig....just bigger and slower.

Big Kate.jpg

capracreek and Suzanne_Tyler like this.
  11. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Oh, wow. I wonder how many she's got in there.

capracreek and Realtree2429 like this.
  12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Good luck!

13. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    A month ago I thought she would have around 6....now I'm really not sure!!! I'm getting kinda scared that she will have a bakers dozen or so!!!!

Still nothing today, just not moving too much and eating, eating, eating. No signs of making a nest or anything.

But I am finding that I am checking on her several times a day.

It has to be soon!!!!!

capracreek and Suzanne_Tyler like this.
  14. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
  15. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    Still no piglets today. My husband thought she was going into labor yesterday evening. But she wasn't.....definitely moving less and slower today. She will walk about 10 feet and just lays down where she ends up. And also looks as though her milkbar is filling.

I feel so bad for her!!!!!

capracreek likes this.
  16. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Poor girl! I bet she is ready for them now

jkgoatfarm.weebly.com
    instagram- jk_farms

Realtree2429 likes this.
  17. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    How is she doing?

18. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    She is quite literally just getting bigger and bigger! I had absolutely no idea how big a pregnant pig could get! I have been saying she has to be close for about 6 weeks now. But really.....SHE HAS TO BE CLOSE! Her milk bar is getting bigger and bigger and is starting to hit the ground. And her vulva is swelling up.

We have put her in the boar's pen and put him in with our other gilt. That way she has her own "privacy" and is left alone when/if she ever decides to give these piglets up.

I have started calling her April the Pig. Instead of the giraffe.....

19. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    SHE FINALLY HAD THEM!!!!!!

Yes, that was over the top :)

Yesterday evening, she had 6 piglets (3 boys, 3 girls) and we got to be there to watch and video the birth.....so much easier than goats!!!! 3 of them are black, 3 of them are brown/black stripes (which my husband says will change) and 4 of them have wattles and they all have the shorter nose like the kunekune. 20170811_154832.jpg 20170811_154832.jpg 20170811_154832.jpg 20170810_185945.jpg 20170811_074937.jpg

So far, two of them are smaller than the others, but are so feisty and are doing really well!

20. Realtree2429

Realtree2429 Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ohio
    Sorry, for the multiple picture of the same photo....gotta love smartphones!