PLEASE HELP new baby goat thats hunched over???

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by foster farms, Feb 7, 2013.

1. foster farms

foster farms New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I just had my first nubian goat of this season, he was born two days ago and he was the only one in the birth. I was their at his birth and made sure he got colostrum and his mother has plenty of milk. But I have noticed that he always stand hunched up like he is trying to poop all the time and he is not stretching his back legs out all the way. He stands on his own and walks around a little but is not active like kids I have had before. I was worried that he was not pooping so I gave him a enema about a hour ago and he pooped solid black poo out and then gel like yellow goop. I am really worried that something is wrong with him. I have never seen anything like this so what should I do?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    His poo is normal, the black meconuim then the yellow gel stuff.
    Have you taken his temp?

3. foster farms

foster farms New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    No, I have not checked his temp yet, it is cold and rainy here today, but he has been in the barn in a stall with his mom since he was born. Should I put a heat lamp on him?

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If you stick your finger in his mouth it should be toasty.
    Has he been nursing enough? Feel his belly. Is it sort of full or empty?
    His flanks should not be sunken in.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I would take his temp. A shot of BoSe wouldn't hurt. Maybe a shot of B Complex. I think you would have to decide if he needs a heat lamp but make sure it is up high enough that the goats can't touch it.

6. foster farms

foster farms New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    His belly is very full, and his mouth is warm, I also just seen him pee, its a little yellow but not real bad, I also thought of giving him some boSe but no where that sells it around here. I would have to order it online and that would take 3 days for it to get here. I am going to take his temp.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You have to get Bo-Se from your vet. If he didn't pass the meconuim for 2 days, that was probably the problem and you fixed it with the enema. You can get the bo-se gel from your TSS, and a little b-complex will always be a good choice. He's eating, peeing and now pooping, he should be ok now.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    All great advice, can't add anymore.

Congrats and I am pulling for him.

9. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead

Hope he is better now! Good thinking with the enema!

10. pubgal83

pubgal83 New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    Agree as well with everything. I have a little guy that I was worried about for the same reason a couple weeks ago.

11. foster farms

foster farms New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    ok he seems to be doing the same, I checked his temp today and it was a little low, his mouth also seemed chilly so I put him under a heat lamp. Here is a picture of him just about 2 hours ago this is how he stands all the time, he is not active and jumping around. He also seems very small to be a pure bred Nubian and he was born 2 days ealier from the does bred date. I have given him everything I know to do, I called the vet about BoSe but it will be in Monday.

003.jpg

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I would get some C&D Antitoxin into him. Has he pooped more since you gave him an enema?

13. foster farms

foster farms New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    yes he pooped little tiny peebles in about three or four piles, I seen them in the stall is the C&D toxin the same as CD&T shot? and is he deformed or something?

14. Jigglypuff598

Jigglypuff598 New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Oklahoma
    C & D Antitoxin is different than the C & D Vaccine. Not sure how to explain it. The vaccine helps them build immunity to it over time but the antitoxin is like live active stuff that temporarily helps at the moment.

15. foster farms

foster farms New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    OK I will have to get some tomo morning and give it to him is there anything else I can do? I have given him a enema, gave him nutri drench once every day, he's under a heat lamp, and I put his mom on the milking stand and let him eat while I sat right there beside them making sure he was eating well. His moms udder seemed very tight, could he just not be eating enough? He seemed like he had trouble finding and getting the teat in his mouth. His moms teat size is perfect and she lets him nurse. I just want to do everything I can for the little guy. :(

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    He does not look well. His temp needs to be 100 before he should nurse.
    Udder may be tight because of fullness. Is her udder hot?

17. miarenee

miarenee New Member

Feb 8, 2013
    If his temperature is low, you need to contact a vet asap.. Once a goats temp drops, its almost impossible to bring it back up....

18. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead

You said her udder is tight? Is it plugged? Are you sure he is getting milk?
    Poor little guy, hope you can help him :(

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I haven't read through all the posts but has the little guy passed the meconium stool? If he hasn't you can use 1/2 of a infant glycerine suppository and it will get things moving. Alternatively you can fill a needleless 3cc syringe and give him an enema. This will lubricate the anus and help the black tarry stuff to pass.

Express some milk from mom and make sure the plus are removed.

20. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

If mom just has one little kid on her, I would milk her out. Make sure her milk is ok.