Please help

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by goatlover1974, Feb 24, 2013.

1. goatlover1974

goatlover1974 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My little guys legs don't seem to be improving. And a farmer told me they never will. The only way he walks upright is with homemade braces on.

image-3574944745.jpg

Please tell me this isn't true! He's about 6 months old now. I have to keep his brother, and him separated from the adults. Afraid they will hurt him.

What can I do????

2. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    do you have a good vet that can see him? If he hasnt improved in 6 months I would have to agree with the farmer might be correct? what to do depends on what you are willing to do...if he is healthy other wise..wether him and keep him as a yard pet adjusting his braces as he grows or....choose to puthim down...keep in mind Nubian Bucks can get quite large...Mine was 250#..this might complicate him on braces...he needs to keep active or his rumen will suffer...somany things to keep in mind..I would first see a vet to be sure there is nothing I was missing...if you ant then you have to do what best suits you....what ever you dicide you have a whole forum at your side...hugs

3. goatlover1974

goatlover1974 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wisconsin
    He is a wether. I can't bare to put him down. No local vet that works with goats. He appears healthy otherwise. I just feel so bad for him. I want him to have a normal healthy life. His legs bend incorrectly at the ankle area, so he will walk on knuckles if no braces on. Do they make leg braces for goats? Thought about putting casts on him.

4. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    im sure you can find someone to make braces for him...cast might keep the rest of his muscles from being strong..have you tried wrming them real well and messages...trying to stretch the muscles out...??

5. goatlover1974

goatlover1974 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Stretching them yes, but not warming them. What would you suggest? I am willing to try anything for my Rocky. They're twins named Rocky and Bullwinkle.

6. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    lol..love the names... Either a heating pad or cloth soaked in very warm water and wrapped...then excerise his leg...I would also have him stand..maybe a helper to keep him from running away lol..and work on his standing correctly on his hooves..keep adding warmth while working his muscle...might give him a baby aspirin afterif he seems sore...I would do this 3-4 times a day...those tendons are like rubber bands in a freezer...take them out cold and stretch them andyou have problems..this is why I suggest warming them up..also doing several times a day since the tendons will shrink back once you are done..so doing it more often will hopefully stretch them out...Im not sure this will work...but its worth a try...

7. goatlover1974

goatlover1974 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thank you, I'm willing to try anything- he is the sweetest little guy, out of the ten. They all are pets. So I am able to watch closely.

8. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hes in good hands then : ) best wishes

9. reggalce

reggalce New Member

:( It's always harder when the sweetest ones have problems.

This place though, you came to the right place to get answers, support and sympathy.

BTW, sunflower seeds are rich in selenium.

Hope he gets better.

10. goatlover1974

goatlover1974 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Update***** Rocky's legs are improving, it seems the problem area is his ankles. They are stopping him from standing upright, that's why he crawls on front knees. Any suggestions to this?

11. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Keep doing what your doing ..seems to be working : ) are you still warming them and doing his stretches....

12. goatlover1974

goatlover1974 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Yes, but how is this going to correct his ankles. Id like to try to keep his legs unwrapped, but some how support his ankles. Any suggestions?

13. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    thats a hard one...with out a brace...not sure..maybe make a case of his anke area...like you would for a broken leg...set it in the proper position and let it dry..then cut it off by cuting the front 1/3 of it...then you have a cup of sorts to fit on the back of his leg at the ankle...you can keep it on useing an ace or vet wrap...its still wraped I know..but not as bulky..keeping the support where he needs it and the ankle in a correct position..????

14. goatlover1974

goatlover1974 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for your advice. I was thinking of something along the lines of that. Just hate him being wrapped up, no air to skin if not needed. So I'm going to try just supporting his ankles and see how he does. I found a vet that works with goats about 11 miles away, so going to call and see if the vet will look at him. My local vet only does small pets, and horses. My hopes are one day he will have full use of legs without supports so he can play with his brother, and the other goats.

15. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    that sounds like agreat idea..11 miles is not far : )