PREGNANT BUT VERY SKINNY??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KFOWLER, Oct 22, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    These fainting goats seem very hollowed out and skinny...any suggestions??

Attached Files:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It looks like you need to up their feed...I would grain them as well. Have they been tested for Johne's disease? Their coats do look really good so i'm guessing they are getting everything needed...how much are you feeding them per day and what?

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I am feeding sweet feed, hay and they have a mineral block. They are in a pen by themselves as of Wednesday because they should be kidding in the next week or so. I will give them a little more grain. I just didn't know if this looked like the "hollowed out" look they get when about to kid or what?? Two of the three just look too skinny...just kinda worried!!

Thanks!!

4. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Forgot to answer...they have not been tested since I have owned them.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The hollowing out is due to being pregnant and probably due to age and the pregnancy, but you can see their hip and back bone...they are definately underweight. The hollowing is fairly normal if they are late in pregnancy with multiple kids or have kidded quite a few times before and are older does. For fainters they should be quite a bit thicker...pregnancy can take quite a bit out of a goat though.

6. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    They were pretty thick when I got them and seemed to be doing OK until a few days ago when I noticed they were getting thin...I have separated them from other does and will give them more grain.

Thanks!!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Honestly, the grain I probably wouldn't increase very much. I would free choice the hay until they start getting their weight up. How much grain do you give them per day? Also, when was the last time they were dewormed or treated/checked for cocci? Looking at their coats I don't think parasites are causing any issues, but good to be sure. ;)

8. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I just put them in a separate pen and feed them about a coffee can full of grain. They have hay in the barn available at all times. I wormed them about two weeks ago...but dont think they got a whole lot of the pellets. Is it safe to worm them again so close to their kidding?? I use a wormer called positive pellet.
    I also wonder i its because all the grass/grazing is pretty much gone due to cool weather and they are geting adjusted to the hay and grain? I dont know...just hate seeing the two so skinny. They are all three fed the same but two are thinner. Their coats looks good...getting thicker and longer for the cold weather.
    I'm not real sure about their age...the man i purchased them from was basically feeding them grain only because he had run out of any pasture...said he bought them as pets for his kids but they were just getting to be too much trouble and he couldnt afford to feed them. I dont do much grain in the summer because i have plenty for them to graze on...maybe i should have continued to give them some grain. But I also had no intention of them getting bred...thats was my neighbors bucks idea!!!

9. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Here is a picture of the third fainter doe...she's not quite as thin as he other two. The tan with white spot on side.

Attached Files:

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes, all 3 does are VERY skinny. I would worm all 3 asap with Ivomec orally at 1cc per 22 lbs of body weight. Worm again in 10 days and again 10 days after that. What kind of hay are you feeding?? I would double the amount of hay and put them on a goat grain.... Purina goat chow and added Sunflower seeds for weight gain would be good.

If they don't start gaining significant weight within the next month... I'd have them tested for Johnes.

I would also order some Goatade if I were you and give it to both the does and the kids when they are born. Tums would also be a helpful supplement to give them now for added calcium.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    make sure not to feed them too much grain at once, you could onset pregnancy toxemia/ketosis. so just up their grain very slightly until they're looking better. I don't think it'd be Johnes, but i would offer them hay free choice

12. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Ok...thank you. They do have access to hay at all times now. The hay is just a prarie grass hay...bought it from the same guy/same field as last year and it was fine all winter. I will worm them this morning. Thank you all very much!!

13. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    What would be the best type of hay to get for them to help fatten them up?? I don't notice these three eating as much of the hay. I think the previous owner grazed them and then grain fed them in the winter time. Would something like Alfalfa be more tasty to them just to get them started on the hay?? All the rest of my goats eat the hat I have so I am sure the hay is good.

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes, I always feed my pregnant does alfalfa.... It keeps them nice and fat plus gives them the extra calcium and protein they need for growing those babies. :)

15. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Alfalfa has a lot more calories and nutrients. I have trouble getting anything else, and it is really hard to keep my goats from being too fat. I would switch them slowly to it, and maybe only partly, if that puts weight on them. They really are thin.

Jan

16. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I will try to get some Alfalfa today...weather is not co-operating right now...it's raining. But I will call around to the local feed/supply stores and get some. What about alfalfa cubes?? Would something like that work? I just don't want them to be this thin when they are fixing to kid...

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Try feeding beet pulp pellets and some weight builder supplement. You can get it at TSC and sprinkle it over their grain. Also deworm with safeguard for 5 days straight. Will get rid of anything the ivomec doesn't get without being to strong for how weak they probably are.

18. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh and also give them red cell when you worm them.... it has iron and will help them with anemia from the worming. Some B-12 supplement wouldn't hurt either.

19. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    TSC also has Alfalfa Pellets, it's more economical to five mixed with the grain ration if you don't have access to bales.

20. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Wormed the does yesterday...one has diarrea...the other two seem fine. Went to store and got alfalfa pelllets and some black oil sunflower seeds. Gonna get a couple bales of Alfalfa hay tomorrow. Hopefully they will all three look better in a few days!!!