Prospective goat owner

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by J-Bird, Mar 20, 2017.

1. J-Bird

J-Bird jbird

Mar 15, 2017
    Hi!

I am new to TGS and am looking to start keeping a few Nigerian Dwarfs soon. We have kept chickens and will be getting some more soon but have never kept any other animals. Anyways anybody have any suggestions as to the best place to buy them within 50 miles of Concord NC? I have seen a lot on craigslist, but I'm not a hundred percent sure if thats what I want to do. I am looking for 2 doelings to start out. I don't want to keep a buck yet and we don't have tons of space where I am which is partly why I want Nigerians and why I only want 2. We have enough room to keep up to six but I probably will not get that many. I am going to keep them for milk/pets, so I will be breeding them. So does anybody know of any stud services around? I want them registered and as young as possible when I get them, but I won't be able to get them till about 2 months from now. Thanks in advance, I will probably be back in the future with more questions about keeping goats.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Welcome to TGS! Maybe start with contacting people on Craigslist. Many good breeders will list there.

3. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Look on craigslist that's where I stud my boys at.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also, when planning your goat space, make sure that they cannot get to any chicken feed - very problematic for goats. Good luck on your search.

5. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    My goats sometimes get in the chicken coop when I find them I get them out but I haven't had problems with them getting sick. I would suggest feeding them chicken feed but if they accidentally get in the coop it'll be fine

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Start an "ISO" thread on here. There are several ND breeders around here that are members.

JK, hoping you meant "wouldn't suggest"? (You have "would suggest")

7. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    We feed our chickens mixed grain that is goat safe during the day just in case the goats get in when they are all free roaming (small coop door only had 1 goat ever get in) and then in the evening when the chickens and goats (separated) are locked up they get layer mash and pellets. This is gone by the time we let them out in the morning (if there is any left we put it out of reach)

8. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Oh yes wouldn't suggest I'm glad you caught that!

9. Clehmanktm57319

Clehmanktm57319 Potato chip farm

Aug 6, 2016
    pitts pa
    There is also a group called Nigerian dwarf goats many for sale and advise on that thread too

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Welcome, glad you are here. :)

Good luck in your search.

11. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Go to Nigerian Dwarfs For Sale on FB.
    Join Piedmont Dairy Goat Breeders Assoiation on FB.
    Join NC Dairy Goat Breeders Association on FB.

Cool Springs Farm is close to there and they have top notch Nigerians. Husband is veterinarian. Nice folks we show with them. I think they are in Rowan County near Salisbury. They have a FB page and website I believe.
    I'm in Zebulon, NC near Raleigh. A little out of your range.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017