Pygmy goat not acting well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by elvador, Jun 19, 2017.

1. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    I'm new here, and new to having goats. We recently bought 2 pygmy billies and everything has been fine until this week. One of them has not been eating much at all and I noticed it's throat sounded rough when it called out yesterday. Today he's just laying down in his little dog house and won't come out. Any advice would be much appreciated! michael

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    How old are your bucks? First get a temp. Digital thermometers (human kind) work just fine rectally. Temp should be between 101.5-103.5. If elevated, some kind of infection going on, antibiotics needed. If low, you need to work on the rumen. Have you had any recent changes in what they were fed? Have you had a recent fecal done? Are inner bottom of the eyelids nice and pink or pale? Are they utd on CDT? Need to know a bit more before we can help......

3. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    I think they're about 6 months to a year old. I will try and get a temp and look at the eyelids. What is UTD on CDT? I don't know how to answer that one. They were wormed at the beginning of June.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Up to date on their annual CDT vaccination - which protects against overeating disease and tetanus. Has he had recent feed changes, and what are you feeding? Is poop normal and peeing ok?

5. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    The folks we bought them from said they were up to date. No recent feed changes except for being in a new yard. They also eat a horse protein feed that the previous owners were feeding them. We just continued that.

6. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    I was able to get a temp, 101.3. Eyes look normal, but he just doesn't seem to have any energy at all. He finally did come out of the dog house for a bit.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Give probiotics and fortified vit B complex shot SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 4 days.
    It sounds like her rumen is upset.

Has the goat been upset and yelling a lot? If s, they do go hoarse and lose their voices sometimes, she will be OK if she has been yelling out a lot.

Does her lungs sound congested?

8. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    His lungs seem to be fine. He really hasn't been making any sounds at all, but if I pick him up, he will yell, but it's not loud like it was 2 days ago. He probably only weighs about 20 pounds. Is there a good online source for the probiotics, and which do you recommend? Is this time sensitive enough that I shouldn't wait for shipping?

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You need to treat the rumen asap. Get yogurt in him. You can get Probios at Tractor Supply.

10. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Will do!

11. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    He only weighs about 20 pounds? That sounds very light for a yearling Pygmy. You might want to get a fecal run on them, including cocci.

12. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Will do. Thank you.

13. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    I administered the proper dosages of the Goats Prefer brand probio gel and about 1.75 ml of vitamin B. It wasn't the fortified product, because they didn't have that, it was a "high level Vitamin B complex" product by Durvel. Is this OK? I also purchased the Goats Prefer Power Punch product on a whim. Good product? Best way to administer? I'm so glad I found this forum, thank you all for your help!

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Was it injectable B and did you inject it?

I believe the power punch is some type of electrolyte? I know people use it but I have never tried it.

15. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Yes, the B is injectable. I have done that many times with dogs and he didn't seem to mind too bad. I used a 22/1" needle. This morning, he was laying outside the dog house but still doesn't have as much energy, although for the first time in 2 days he did call out. I will continue with the B and the Probio. I also noticed he poo'd a little in the house, so I'll get that out and have it analyzed.

I did notice that his gums are not pink, they are pale, so I suspect worms might be at hand, even though they were wormed 2 weeks ago. I'll worm them again today.

16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Can you get a fecal done? It's best to worm based on fecal test results. No one wormer will get all parasites and using the wrong wormer creates parasite resistance.

17. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Quick question in regards to Probiotics. How many days do I need to give them to the goat? How often in normal situations as a maintenance tool, or is that needed?

18. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Every day until fully recovered. It's not really needed for maintenance.

19. elvador

elvador New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    We had a fecal analysis done and he had Coccidiosis. We lost him last night. I feel like a horrible owner. Please let me know how to avoid this in the future. Poor little guy.

20. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    I am so sorry you lost him :(

Young goats should always be treated for cocci as a matter of course. I would go ahead and treat your other buck as a preventative.