Questions.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by BillieJoeHoofstrong, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Are sheep and goats the same thing? Can sheep and goats breed together? Why do wethers jump on each others backs? Can goats really eat everything? Don't all goats have rabies?

And then you have those people that think they know more about your goats than you do. Apparently you don't have to feed Goats.... they eat everything so no need to feed, deworm or provide medical care. Those are the ones that make me mad. The rest are usually funny and I laugh them off and answer politely.

2. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    i laugh off the questions the kids ake i had a 4yr old ask me why some goats have tails and others dont(lambs)

and one girl had a runny nost and someone(adult) asked if they always had wet noses etc.
    Thats was an adult but i shruged it off

3. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I was driving my wether down the road and some lady goes "Can I pet your pony?!"

We were at the fair and some know-it-all guy was telling his girlfriend "You see, baby goats are born without ears (points to lamancha) and when they are full grown they grow big long ears (points to boer)!!! My brother was standing there and was like "No, these are completely different breeds of goats, this one has always had ears, this one will never have any." The guy looked so mad that he had been corrected and looked like such a dork!

4. VincekFarm

VincekFarm Senior Member

I don't have Munchies but other members at my 4-H club have them and at the fair they were asked over 100 times if they cut off the munchies ears. (Yes they counted the exact number.. I don't remember)
    This one girl got so fed up she eventually said "Yes, we cut them off and put them in our sandwhiches." LOL

5. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    My 4-H leader starting telling people that goat ears were best fried on medium heat for 4-8 minutes.

6. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    sounds like my ag teacher!!!!

7. spot

spot New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I heard the one:
    which breeds have horns and which don't ?

8. BillieJoeHoofstrong

BillieJoeHoofstrong New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I got asked today why my goat eats hay and grain and why they don't get fed garbage and tin cans and stuff.....it was from a 30 year old..

9. FarmerJen

FarmerJen New Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Skagit County, WA
    Only really dumb question I've gotten (while walking my goats in a grassy area along a popular trail to browse) is "are those GOATS?!" Everything in me wants to say "no idiot, they're camels". LOL I mean, most people just say "I thought they were dogs until I got closer" or something. But yeah... just one of those "here's your sign" questions. :D Definitely strikes up lots of conversation though. It's rare that I dont get any reaction from anyone. LOL

10. BillieJoeHoofstrong

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I like walking my goats in public places lol I love the reactions

11. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    I hate it when I walk my goats and dog people come up and ask if my goats can have a dog treat. I always explain to them nicely that goats don't eat meat so they don't like dog treats but without fail they always try to give them to the goats anyway. I highly doubt every person walking their dogs around here have vegan dog treats. Thankfully my goats will just smell the treats then snort and rub their noses on the ground like they just smelled something terrible.

12. FarmerJen

FarmerJen New Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Skagit County, WA
    My only concern with walking them is that a LOT of folks let their dogs off leash (despite the leash law). I mean, I let my dog off leash on hiking trails, etc - because she is trained - and I HOPE that folks with off-leash dogs have also TRAINED said dog... but since I have ND's... ppl dont realized they're goats till they're fairly close. I'm just terrified a dog will attack my goats! I mean, legally, it'd be on them... but that doesn't help any injury (or worse) go away!

13. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    That is exactly why I carry a large walking stick or horse wip with me. If a dog trys to even get close to my goats I will wack them. I don't care what the owners think. We live 30 minuets away from the closest town so most dogs are off leash.

14. GriffinRidgeFarm

GriffinRidgeFarm New Member

Apr 15, 2011
    When we were at a show last year someone walked up to us and told us that it was inhumane to cut their ears off... On other person walked up later and told us that the earless goats look stupid. I wanted to say 'Well, so do you but I didn't say anything about it.' ;)

15. BillieJoeHoofstrong

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    people always try to feed mine dog food and treats too

16. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    When that happens you have to realize people dont understand goats cant/shouldent eat something.

The world is tought "goats will eat everything" from the day their born.
    Their not stupid or dumb or ignorant they just dont know.

Yes they should always ask. But maners have been lost

show goat/lamb equipment
    www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains

17. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Get a dog dazer. They work awesome. The more agressive the dog is feeling, the worse the sound it makes hurts their ears. I've only had to use my twice in all the years but, I still carry it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer-II-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B000IBRI2Y

18. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Hehehe I probably would have said it