Rabbit and fleas

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Jessica84, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    My house rabbit has fleas! Kinda grossed out by this and can only figure it came from the wood shavings. Those are now tossed and I have a brand new bag that I'll keep in my dang car if I need to. But she is just covered in them. I have googled the heck out of this and one site will say do this or that the other oh never do that do this. This is flea stuff is ok on another but will kill the rabbit according to another. The only thing I can find that is for sure is don't use frontline. I need someone who I can actually talk to to tell me what to get and hopefully something tractor supply carries since I'm headed there this afternoon. She is a English lop if that matters

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I know for sure that "Advantage II Kitten" is safe for rabbits but I am pretty sure Tractor Supply does not carry it! Sorry, I don't know which other options are safe.

3. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok I'll see if anyone's got something for me before I get there and if not I'll order some. It's not RX right?

4. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok I looked on Amazon and I can get it there ;)

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Right, not Rx! I have purchased it from Chewy.com before too - that website usually have awesome prices and really prompt shipping.

6. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yeah tractor supply for sure didn't have it. Actually all they had for cats were flea collars and I wasn't even going there. I'm writing that site down though, I already ordered off of Amazon but with all the rain and fleas in the house! I'm sure it's going to be a bad year. We got a decent amount of rain last year and it was terrible with fleas so I think this year is going to be worse. Barn cats are good for rodents, not so good about bringing creepy crawlers home (shudder)

7. spidy1

spidy1 Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    AZ
    I use a pee size amount of Ivermectin paste for my Flemish Giants who live in a hutch outside where there are bad bugs but I don't have a problem with them, never have! But the wild rabbits, now they can be a problem LOL, in to everything!

8. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Do you think that would work for fleas too? Not like I have that on had either lol but curious. We have a bunch of wild rabbits, I like them and won't let anyone here shoot them but they don't come close to the house with all the cats. I seem to be like the local cat drop off. I really don't mind, I figure they will go out living and not stressed rather then be put in a cage and then put down if they went to the pound so I just let them be on rodent control and do their thing

9. Summersun

Summersun Member

Apr 24, 2014
    New Mexico
    I saw a rabbit the other day on a tv vet show that had fleas. They told the lady to get any flea powder that was safe for puppies and kittens and put it on her.

10. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well that's what I was thinking to do as well but I can't find a straight answer on what ingredients are actually ok and the powders all have different stuff in them.

11. spidy1

spidy1 Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    AZ
    Ivermectin does work for flees, ticks, and all the blood suckers, it kills them with there next meal, the oral wormer will stay in the blood stream at full strength for 3 days then slowly fade out. I never had much luck with flee/tick powder when I had dogs with flees and ticks, but the wormer worked, a word of caution, do not give Collie breeds or Collie mixes Ivermectin some are allergic and it could be fatel.