Red eyed bottle baby-blind..

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heathersboers, Jan 26, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    One of the nubians I bought to bottle feed had red eyes when I got him- It wasn't bad-but its getting worse now-he is almost blind- I am buying some PUFFER tomorrow to put in his eyes. Does anyone know of anything better? and can his sight come back?

2. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    how old is it? if it's older than 2 weeks, I would think pink eye. If younger, than it may be abrasion and you can put penicillin directly in the eye (no needle) Also, if you have teramycin eye ointment, I would do that.- I don't like to use that powder stuff unless I know it's pink eye. I'd start treatment right away though.

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    He was born Jan 14th- most of the ones i have encountered before have had runny looking eyes-not his-they just look like cataracts.BOTH of his eyes are like this.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Are the eye lids or lashes inverted at all...? That can cause eye irritation...

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Eyelids and everything look fine-What is throwing me is that they aren't runny at all-he can see a little bit, but not much- I have had pinkeye in a few of my kids before, but the eyes looked cloudy white-his are cloudy red.

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I haveonly seen red pink eye before (hence the name)- he needs oxytetracycline, one dose - then wait three days, it its not cleared up you should dose again

7. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I was bottlefeeding a young lamb once that had been born at a livestock dealer/butcher's place. She had one eye that was all inflamed so i figured pink eye since it was born in that kind of place. But she didn't respond to treatment; when I talked to the vet, he said she was too young for pink eye - I think it's a 2 week incubation; hers was an abrasion from probably the dirt; there were no tears, just sore looking (too long ago to remember exactly what it looked like) so had to switch treatments but she was already too scarred and was totally blind in that one eye then. So since it was born Jan. 14 and it already had the redness, I'm doubting if it really is pink eye.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    could it be ...that the kid was slammed ...before you got it... and it is causing blood pooling/ bruising in the eyes from the injury? :(

not sure ..if it is scratches or dirt ....because of no drainage....

Other than that.... i have no clue .... it would be a good idea... to seek a vets opinion.....because ........it doesn't take long .....to lose there site permanently......... :hug:

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sounds like pink eye. Get him away from the other kids if you havnt already. Its very contagious. And wash your hands well after handeling him. Dont stick your fingers in yur eyes either. Pink eye can be tranfered from goat to people.
    beth

10. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    when I've seen pink eye, the eye is always watering - she commented that his is not

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I put some teramycin (sp?) in his eyes to day- I hope it works!! that lottle .5 oz tube was $20!!!!

12. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    sells for $9.99 through Jeffers - hope that is going to be enough to help though

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

wouldnt hurt to get her on a round of pen as well. so youre fighting the infection from the inside as well.
    beth

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sounds like what a few of my babies have had.

What I did was get two tea bags, get them wet so they are good and soaking. Hold them to the eyes of the babies. Both eyes even if one looks life. Hold the tea bags (re-wetting often) to the eyes for at least 10 minutes for three times a day. When you are done with that put Neosporine in the eye. Do that for like 7-10 days, and you will be surprised how they heal you.

The tea bags are just regular tea bags.

15. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    any idea what caused it when you had it happen?

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The vet told me it has to do with the amniotic fluid irritating their eyes.