Rescue goat pregnant?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by equipix, May 14, 2017.

1. equipix

equipix New Member

May 14, 2017
    We adopted a stray goat form animal control just after Christmas. Her intake date was 12/22/16. Not sure when (January, I think) we noticed that nipples we couldn't see when we got her were now visible. My vet was out for another animal so I scheduled an ultrasound. She took an xray and ultrasound. There were no bones on the xray, but the ultrasound showed some thickening of the uterus. The vet couldn't be sure she was pregnant, mostly because she had the practice's very old ultrasound and xray machine. In early April, another vet in the practice was out for shots and did a quick exam on the goat. He thought he felt something and figured a few more weeks for her. From January to now, her udder has grown some, but has stalled. If she is pregnant, her due date would have to be very soon as 150 days is around the 19th of May assuming she was bed right before animal control picked her up. I've attached a few photos to see what you all think. Should I be preparing for a birth in the next week or so? Thanks!

2. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    She looks pregnant to me. Their udders can fill last minute but make sure you have colostrum on hand! Is her belly in front of her udder tight? If so she is definitely pregnant! :)

3. equipix

equipix New Member

May 14, 2017
    I tried to feel up under there, but she's not keen on being handled at all (just sometimes lets you scratch on her face) When I get a hold of her, she shakes like a leaf. It felt solid up under there, but I couldn't really tell if it was tight though.

4. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Have you seen any movement on her right side? Not her left side cause that would be her rumen :)

5. equipix

equipix New Member

May 14, 2017
    sorry, I'm not much help...it's very hard to tell because she's always moving and/or shaking if I try to do more than scratch her jaw.

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Do either of your wethers act bucky?

7. equipix

equipix New Member

May 14, 2017
    no, they're pretty calm...they don't really seem to want her around. But, that said, they are not kept together. The males head bash the fence when she comes around too close.

8. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    That's just normal goat dominance trying to settle who's boss :)

9. equipix

equipix New Member

May 14, 2017
    They like to think they're the boss! lol I like to think it's me :)

10. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Have they all been together? Wethers will act Bucky like trying to breed the does when the girls are in heat. If he has done that then she isn't but it really looks like she is!

11. equipix

equipix New Member

May 14, 2017
    They've never been together, just divided by fencing. She seems to spend a lot of time on her own when she doesn't feel like being with the other doe.

12. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    How long has she been going off alone?

13. Dayna

Dayna Active Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    The tight belly is really not accurate. I have goats with healthy rumens, bucks, etc that are nice and tight in the belly area before the udder. lol And I'm sure my bucks are not pregnant!

The best way to tell is to send off a blood pregnancy test or just wait.

14. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    It has worked for me for 6 years! Bucks bellies are always tight mine are too!

15. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I don't fool with doing blood tests it's a waste of money when all I have to do is check fir heat and or wait 5 month's and see what I get! :)

16. equipix

equipix New Member

May 14, 2017
    I guess I'll know in a week or so lol After that, time's run out. She'll be past 150 days.

17. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I agree! Some does go past 150 days I've heard of does going till 160 days!

18. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Blood testing is very accurate and useful to many people. My does have tight bellies when they're not pregnant just as much as when they are.

19. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I mean the belly right in front of the udder not the whole belly

20. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Judging by pooch, I'm going with not pregnant