Saanen in Season?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Itchysmom, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    The other day while I was filling water buckets and watching the goats, Sasha (my oldest doe and the only one that has had kids) was acting like a buck! She was blubbering and mounting her daughter. She then went to her niece and licked her back. Her niece may have been in heat, I don't know. Her daughter is supposed to be pregnant.

I called my goat friend and she said this behavior is normal if a doe goes into season and there is no buck around.

My main question is why is Sasha, who is a pure bred Saanen, in season in March? I thought dairy does are only in season from Sept to Jan. Last year at this time she was pregnant so this is the first time I have seen this behavior in her.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Breeding season can last to late Feb., early March. If you're having dark, shorter days from the weather... sometimes they can still have heat cycles too. And sometimes pregnant does will act like they're in heat...from hormones.

3. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you Kylee. We have had some pretty sunny days lately. I know she is not pregnant as she came into heat after the buck left. Ah well, guees she was just having a brain fart!