Saanen/Nubian cross picyures?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Itchysmom, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I bred my Saanen doe to a Nubian buck. Does anyone have this cross? How are they?

More important....can anyone post some pictures of this cross if they have it? I am curious to see what I might get.

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Funny that you should post this because I am having a hard time finding an alpine or saanen locally to breed my girls to. Nubians are more commen so I may end up using a nubian. I think you may end up with airplane ears which I admit am not fond of.

3. Well I have never had this cross before, but you got me interested in the outcome so I googled it. These are some pics I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks for the pictures!

First two look like saanens with long ears! The kids are soo cute!

I wonder what kind of horns they will have? The buck looked like he had small one, maybe a dishorning that didn't work? My does have thier long normal horns. I can hardly wait to see if I get any color!

5. Ha ha, your very welcome. I pretty interested too. You will defiantly have to post pics! :wink:

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Here is Pixie, my "Snubian." I sadly lost her to bloat while she was at the buck's to be bred.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    she is adorable lol!

8. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    the airplane ears are soo funny :)

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have a Saanen doe bred to a Nubian buck as well.. She's due in June. Not really a fan of airplane ears myself.. So I guess we'll see. Lol.

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Oh, sorry you lost her Epona. She is beautiful. How old was she? She looks like she would have had saanen horns.

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I think she was around 2 1/2. I was devastated. She was very sweet...not too smart. I still have her daughter, the brown doe in the pictures, who recently kidded two stunning kids, but then was injured. Thankfully she seems to be recovery.

Pixie was an EXCELLENT milker. I have not milked the daughter, who is 1/2 Nigerian, yet.

12. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    IF my nubian kids, she was bred to a S. Saanen buck. Hopefully I will have pics for you in about a week!

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    here's my Snubian, Demi:
    [​IMG]

14. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Demi is precious! Thanks for posting!

15. JackMilliken

JackMilliken New Member

Jul 29, 2011
    What is the difference between Saanen and Nubian horns?

16. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    The NUbians have a flatter type horn, whereas a Saanen's horns are more round.

Here is a pic of my Saanen with horns.
    [​IMG]

Here is a Nubian with horns
    [​IMG]

So far my cross kids have Nubian ears and Saanen horns!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I have 1 Nubian/Saanen doe (the bottom pic). She is more Nubian however. I also have these 2 75% Nubian 25% Saanen doelings. My doe had a buckling this spring that had airplane ears, even though his sire was a Saanen. Odd because I would have thought his ears would have been more upright than his dam, but they were actually worse.

Attached Files:

18. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
  19. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    I don't have any pics, but I wanted to say all these goats are darling!!! :love:

20. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I was expecting the airplane ears...got long ones but they hang down! I can hardly wait to milk my doeling to try her milk. I assume it will be a bit thicker than her moms.