Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Breezy-Trail, May 29, 2012.

  1. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Anyone remember pics of my doe Molly? I will try to post some later.
    She is an unregistered lamancha doe.
    Everyone loves her but she isn't my favorite goat anymore.
    She has been throwing fit on the stand and doesnt lead good...has a mind of her own. but she has lots of personality.
    We got her for $50...so what do you expect.
    Thing is I bought her from a friend's sister almost 2 hrs away.
    I would hate her to hear that we "dumped her".
    She isn't super fancy. Rear, side, and fromt atatchments are not so good.
    Always is super skinny (cant keep weight on her) and she is my second smallest goat. Also has some sort of an abcess or tumor on her cheek (in another form) and I can't take her to the vet right now and she doesn't act sick. Of course if I sold her I would have to explain all this to the buyer.
    She is 4 ish years old and kidded twice with single bucklings.
    She only produces 3 qts a day and at times it goes down to 2 qts and rarely up to 1 gallon. It is high fat milk though and tastes good.

    I just don't think I can buy another goat and keep all of what I have.
    I am already buying 2 alpine does this year but plan to sell one (spirit-my stunted "yearling"). I would have 6 alpines and after I sell spirit it will be 5 (one is a young kid though and only 2 are in milk). Then of course I have molly, who is in milk. So a grand total of 7 until I sell spirit. Another lamancha kid would be 8 and then down to either 6 or 7.

    I just don't know. Should I enjoy the high fat milk for now and sell her bred?
    Or sell her in milk? Or sell her in milk next year?

    Just want to improve my herd and she is maybe my worst goat.

    The lamancha doe kid I am wanting to get is Merrie-Meade STT High Society.
    She was born 4/21 I think. http://www.merriemeadefarm.com/suzie.htm
    They want $350 for her and will allow me to put a deposit on her and get her later. She is A LOT better than molly.

    Any thoughts on what would be the wisest move for my herd?
    If I sold her now we might miss her milk...so maybe best to sell her bred to the Am alpine buck that I am renting? I will have at least 4 in milk next year, with molly 5, and with this doeling (maybe too young to breed) it would be 6.
    Or maybe keep molly and get this other doe as an addition and not a replacement? I just don't know what to do but would like to have a more showable/correct doe in my herd.

    What do you think of this kid?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. dobe627

    dobe627 Senior Member

    Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    The most worrisome thing here is you saying she has an abcess on her cheek. Have you thought CL? You may want to post pictures of it. Since you said a vet is out right now. Should it be cl it is contagious, so you should try to get an answer.
     

  3. Utterly Blessed Farm

    Utterly Blessed Farm New Member

    315
    Dec 21, 2011
    Northern California
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    Jessie,

    Has Molly been tested for Johne's and CL? Her symptoms could be due to one of these. I completely understand you selling her but you don't want to pass anything (disease like) on to someone else. You could sell her, provided she is healthy, as a pet quality doe and a milker. Probably for two or three times what you paid for her. If you are serious about only having registered stock then the original owner will understand that. It does not mean you are "dumping her".


    The little doe in the photo looks very nice.
     
  4. lissablack

    lissablack New Member

    Nov 30, 2009
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    I would be worried about the abscess too. Regardless of what you do with her. A negative blood test for CL does not mean the abscess is not CL, The only really definitive test is a culture of the contents of the abscess.
     
  5. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    I posted pics in the other thread but will try to post here. I didnt mean that I had a vet out...just I cant afford to get her tested or have a vet out. She acts healthy, active, and normal. She just likes to slam her hoof in the milk at times..which is annoying. Good point though. I should wait and get her tested first. Wouldnt want to cause problems for someone else...but wonder if I should separate her. I dont have a place to separate her right now.
     
  6. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    she has never been tested. Never any lameness. She is skinny but doesnt have ribs showing too bad. she would probably fatten up better if I gave her more grain but she already gets 2lbs. Here is a pic of the abcess. I thought a cl abcess was on the outside? seems like this in the middle of the skin layers or on the inside. It feels really hard and doesnt feel fluid filled.
    I will try to make her an appointment for the vet when I can. might be 3-4 weeks out.

    Could it be from infection? maybe she got poked in the cheek by a rusty nail or something and it abcessed?
     

    Attached Files:

  7. liz

    liz New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    That looks to be from a sticker or a tooth abcess, too far forward on her face to be thought of as Cl

    If you have any explaining to do to the seller... she just didn't work out for you. Simple and if you have to go into detail, just say that your personalities clashed and it was best to let her go before resentment set in.
     
  8. Utterly Blessed Farm

    Utterly Blessed Farm New Member

    315
    Dec 21, 2011
    Northern California
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    Jessie,

    We recently had a doe with a similar hard cyst like bump on her cheek. We took her to the vet and it turned out to be an abscess (not CL) most likely from being jabbed by a tree branch or biting her cheek.

    Lissa is right ~ the most definitive test for CL is to culture the pus in the abcess. CL is very contageous so watch for the lump abcessing and breaking open. The pus is contageous.

    Liz is right about personality conflicts. It is not unreasonable to sell a goat because your personalities clash. We have all been there. I had a doe last year that I did not get along with and she was so frustrating that I didn't like to be around her. She now lives with a family who absolutely loves everything about her.
     
  9. Tenacross

    Tenacross New Member

    May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    I'm pretty sure most good goat breeders let go of some of their
    herd as they improve it. It's a good thing. Don't let baggage like
    what your sister's friend might think weigh you down. It's your goat
    now to do as you please. If you have given her good care while you
    have owned her, (like I know you have), you should have no guilt.
    If it were me, I'd sell her sooner rather than later. You might get
    more for her bred or something, but it probably doesn't pencil out
    with the extra inputs (money) and time involved. Those inputs
    could be better put to use on your better goats.
     
  10. nubians2

    nubians2 New Member

    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    I personally would sell her in milk. Many people want an immediate solution and don't want to fool with kidding, or atleast not yet. I see alot of Nubian for sale but they are bred to a Boer. I look right past it. I know I can sell the kid but I don't want to sell my goats for meat. So anyways...I was ranting. I say test the abcess and sell her in milk. You can get more money for her knowing that she had been tested and in milk you should be able to get alot more than you paid even unregistered.
     
  11. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    Okay I have her listed right now for $150.
    My mom has $50 into this goat and wants $75 back...like she gets money back from her investment :roll: . So I will have to pay her the $75 or she wont let me sell her. Then I will put the rest as a deposit on this doeling. I have been picking up some gigs that pay $80-$100 per day so I hope I can work some of those to pay her off quickly. I have applied to MANY jobs...with my main interest in landscaping. Just hope I hear something back soon.

    What do you think of the doelings parentage?
    Greta is sires dam- http://www.merriemeadefarm.com/greta.htm
    Treasure is dam -http://www.merriemeadefarm.com/treasure.htm
    Sinatra is sire-http://www.merriemeadefarm.com/sinatra.htm
    Thunder is sires sire- http://www.merriemeadefarm.com/thunder.htm

    I have more udder pics of treasure (doelings dam) but I cant upload them right now.
     
  12. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    Here are pics of treasures udder. She is suzie's (aka high society) dam. What do you think?
     

    Attached Files:

  13. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

    Bump.
    Can you guys lets me know what you think of her parentage and that udder? I need to know.
     
  14. peggy

    peggy Senior Member

    Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Re: Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid

    If you are wanting to upgrade your herd, then I would say that you should get her. I think she is a really nice doeling, looks very long and level and I like her pedigree. Her dam is beautiful! I notice that you also have alpines. Are you planning on raising registered stock?? If so then you will need 2 different sires, lamancha and alpine. You may want to focus on one breed if you have to keep your herd small but that is just my thoughts. What are your plans for your herd?
     
  15. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Re: Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid

    I do raise almost all alpines. I only want a lamancha for the higher fat and I like the breed. I plan to only have 1 or 2 lamanchas and breed them to the breeders buck. I am renting a alpine buck this year and hope to buy a nice alpine buck next year to either breed them all to alpine or continue to breed to 2 different bucks. I dont plan to have 2 sires. I want to keep one breed for now. All are registered except for Molly. The Lamancha would make it 2 breeds but I dont see it that way until I have a need for 2 bucks.
    What I save in renting the alpine buck (only $20 a doe) I am putting for getting the lamancha bred ($45-$100 a doe depending on the buck..many to choose from).

    Glad you like her. I have decided to buy higher quality and upgrade my herd. I hope to reserve a roeburn buck for next year and see how udders are next year.Abigail and Piper have good confo but I have never seen their udders. Macy isnt perfect for udder and confo but makes for the best brood doe and she gets fat with 1.5 lbs grain. So I am keeping her for sure. In the past I have bought what I could barely afford. After talking to some quality/show breeders they said I have a good start. After I sell these 2 it will be 3 dairy goats that I sold to upgrade. Feels good.

    Hoping Molly sells soon so I can put a deposit down.
    I was advised to keep one breed but just one lamancha isnt changing anything. ;-)
     
  16. peggy

    peggy Senior Member

    Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Re: Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid

    If you have access to rent bucks then that is wonderful, we should all be so lucky.
     
  17. Breezy-Trail

    Breezy-Trail Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    Re: Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid

    Yippy!! Sold my lamancha doe and put a $100($91 from what I earned in one day) deposit on the doeling.
    I worked a 10hr gig 15 mins from where the goats were so that worked out good.
    She wants the kid to stay till the first week in July as she is a triplet and one of the smaller ones.
    So she will be weaned at around 12-13 weeks.
    I REALLY liked her dam. She was big, wide, level, amazing....I just loved the looks of that doe.
    dams Sire is also huge and extra nice. All her animals were nice.
    I just owe $250 on the kid and with my new job it won't be hard to come up with it before july.
    very happy.

    The kid is named high society. but her barn name is "suzie" YUCK!!!
    She needs a better barn name.
    Good night, I will be up between 4 and 5 or something... which means 5-6 hrs of sleep.
     
  18. peggy

    peggy Senior Member

    Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Re: Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid

    Congratulations!!!