Should I be worried? UC

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by garye5007, Aug 9, 2017.

1. garye5007

garye5007 New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I have two 4 Month old Nigi wethers and they don't seem to be drinking as much as they used to. Also I don't see them peeing.They were banded @ 8 weeks. They don't seem to be in any pain....
    The breeder said to feed grain until a year old then work them off the grain completely. They seem to be eating plenty of hay.
    I read quite a bit of scary stories about UC. I am in Connecticut. What can I do to get them to drink more? And how do I tell if there is really a problem? Sorry, I'm a new goat owner and I worry....Advice?
    Thanks, Gary

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Do they have a free choice mineral?

capracreek likes this.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    What exactly are you feeding? What kind of hay? Any browse/pasture? What is the ca : ph ratio in the feed?

capracreek likes this.
  4. garye5007

garye5007 New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Yes, they have free choice manna minerals, Dumore goat feed from TSC
    Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (min.) 16.00% (This includes not more than 1.50% equivalent crude protein from non-protein nitrogen), Crude Fat (min.) 2.00%, Crude Fiber (max.) 16.00%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) .75%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.25%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .35%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Copper (Cu) (min.) 22.00 ppm, Copper (Cu) (max.) 25.00 ppm, Selenium (Se) (min.) .30 ppm, Vitamin A (min.) 3000 IU/lb, Ruminant meat and bone meal free. Says it It contains ammonium chloride.
    With some alfalfa pellets and BOSS mixed in, they have some browse in their enclosure with tree branches that I throw in from time to time. As for the hay, I get it from the local farm supply store...

5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Sounds like you're good on prevention for UC then :)

capracreek likes this.
  6. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    You can add a couple TBS apple cider vinegar to their water. It tends to make the drink more. I also have Nigerians and Pygmies and I was told in the beginning to go very light on grain and alfalfa unless showing. I feed 1/2 C per goat once a day and grass hay

7. I keep two buckets for my boys and my does. One with ACV and one plain water. They always drink the one with the ACV first. My bucks get alfalfa and a little grain every am and then grass hay for the rest of their day. They stay in beautiful condition and I have never had a problem with UC (hanging onto wood as I say this.)