Should I clip?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by heathermae85, May 19, 2017.

1. heathermae85

heathermae85 New Member

May 19, 2017
    I have these two Nigerian Dwarf goats....I think, I got them from an older woman who knew nothing about them, and wasnt able to take care of them, but that's what they look like to me. They have this weird undercoat, it's like the stuffing from a stuffed animal, really super soft, like they might be crossed with.....I don't know...some sort of a really soft goat?

Anyway we just had a couple hot days and they were SO hot, I felt bad for them! It's cooled off again but I'm thinking they're going to feel awful in the summer. Should I clip them? And what on earth is that undercoat?

Sophie
    [​IMG]

Henry
    [​IMG]

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Sounds like they're shedding. Brushing them would help a lot.

3. heathermae85

heathermae85 New Member

May 19, 2017
    Well I do brush them....I just never have seen an undercoat like that. A lot of it has shed out, but they're still much thicker goats than any of my other goats have had.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

That undercoat is normal. You certainly can clip them.

5. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    We have a big show Memorial Day weekend so all of ours are getting a close clipping now.
    If you do clip them closely use sun screen, they can get sunburn.

This is Cocoa
    She just got clipped.

Attached Files:

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    As soon as I clip, no matter what the weather man says, it gets cold! Murphy's Law on goats!

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Already clipped mine. Boy it's getting hot here!

8. When I clip mine I put a comb on the clipper and leave 1/4 or 1/2 inch of hair. I clipped them off the first time and two got sunburn - a little left on and it never happened again. I got a bag of combs on one of web site for very little money and they are very handy. Once it gets hot I clip and bath my goats.

9. heathermae85

heathermae85 New Member

May 19, 2017
    Thanks for the tips!